chapter 2-rewritten

Arriving at the office she was greeted by a secretary, "How can I help you?" she smiled

"Uh, I was called up here-" "Mattia Johnstone, right? the Principle is waiting for you in his office" she guided Mattia towards the back and into a room where the principle was talking with a lady dressed in a suit.

The secretary waved her in with a smile and Mattia walked in the secretary closing the door behind her, the noise caused both adults to look up at Mattia, the lady stood up from a chair and extended her hand towards Mattia, "Hi Mattia, you can call me Maddy or Madeline, whatever feels more comfortable to you."

Mattia didn't acknowledge the extended hand, her own had collected so much sweat and was shaking too violently for her to want to touch someone else's so instead she politely smiled at the lady before focusing her attention on her principle.

"I will leave you two to talk." He abruptly and awkwardly got up from his chair and exited without a glance back, Mattia followed his movements and moved to keep him a safe distance away from her.

"Unfortunately, Mattia I am here on behalf of Child services." Maddy's sudden declaration gained all of Mattia's attention and she felt herself about to be sick from the force her stomach dropped but instead she shallowly nodded.

Her mouth moved to form words but she was at such a loss she couldn't get anything to come out, thankfully the social worker understood and continued, "Its your parents."

Her words caused a new wave of nausea to crash into her, what could they possibly know about her parents? What was about to happen? Were they okay? Would she be okay?

"Now I don't want you to panic and I know that will be difficult with what I'm about to say, but I need you to stay with me alright?" Maddy said pulling out a chair and gesturing Mattia to sit down like she was doing.

Mattia hesitantly pulled the chair even further out and away from the lady before sitting, "What- are they okay?"

Maddy took a deep breath before leaning in and continuing, "We don't know, I am sure they are but all we know is that we don't know where they are."

That's useful, thanks Mattia thought sarcastically still taking the situation in, how can they just disappear? how can they just leave?

"The police found a car that had crashed, there was nobody in the car and when they ran the tags they found it was registered to your parents. The officers went to your house and couldn't find them, we have tried contacting them but until we are able to locate them you will be with us unless you know of any family members..." she trailed off

They must have the wrong people, my parents don't go anywhere they always stayed at home.

Mattia shook her head, "I don't know any family members, my parents stopped contact with them before I was born."

"Alright, why don't we go down to the police station some of the officers there want to ask you a few questions." Maddy got up from her seat and opened the door before waiting for Mattia to follow, "I know this is hard for you but I'm sure your mother and father are fine."

They arrived at the station and when they did they were greeted by a man in a blue uniform, "Can I help you?"

"This is Mattia Johnstone, I was asked to bring her here after I explained the situation involving her parents, Stewart and Adeline Johnstone."

The officer gave a nod of understanding, "This way Mattia, we just have a few questions about your parents that will help us find them."

Mattia stepped away from Maddy and more towards the officer as he motioned for her to follow him, "If it makes you feel any better I can come too Mattia." Maddy said gently