Chapter Fifteen

Editing

It has been a very hectic week, we have been very busy ever since Monday. We had programs to keep the kids occupied the whole week. The church had so many volunteers, they had the kids play a lot of game. Some were singing, some reading and others were just playing sports.

I've been very busy helping in the kitchen. We had to wake up a little early to prepare breakfast and make sure all the kids were clean. We didn't have a problem with sleeping arrangements, we separated the boy and girls into two halls with mattresses. We only had a problem with bathrooms. We had few showers out back which we used for the girls. The boys had to go to the church for showers.

I didn't even manage to bake yesterday. Melissa and I up woke early today to finish the cakes and pies. I'm driving up to the city to get a few things to donate from the hotel. The staff has been collecting items to donate. Liam wanted to help me but I told him I had some other things to do. I had more donations to collect, some needed to be delivered in the orphanage.

I bought lunch for the guys who were helping me pack. They really helped, I wouldn't have managed to bring all that staff to the truck. We ate outside while we were waiting for Belinda.

"Okay guys I have a surprise for you." I said.

"Everyone here got a hamper with cosmetics to pamper yourselves. I made a few connections, all the other stuff will be driven to the Greenfield valley town." The guys were very happy. They thanked me for everything.

I arranged Judith to get me sponsors to help buy a few things for the orphanage. All the groceries and cosmetics were sent to their home today. They'll only be getting clothes and toys from the Village. All the other things will be waiting for them here when they come back.

A lot of people donated, I had to write down everything that was delivered. The church also has a few things packed and ready for delivery. I borrowed one of my dad's truck to go get them.

I drove back before the sun went down. The weather wasn't really that bad. I'm used to the snow anyways, I called Rose to check on things before my drive. She assured me that everything was going fine. A few homes will be cooking, bringing cooked food. Casseroles, salads and pies. There's never enough food for a party. If there are leftovers we will pack them in takeaway containers.

We're only sleeping after midnight, pastor Jones arranged for an all night prayer. We'll be having a kind of service party, a few speeches and a prayer until new year.

There's no better way to show these kids that they're loved. That bad circumstances may have happened to them but they're not going to hold them from having a better future. This moment is what I've been waiting for. This is what I call happy ending for my stories. But I know for them it's not, they still have a long way to go. If they focus on their education, everything else will work out just fine.

When I arrived at the Village people started to unload the boxes from the truck. I left them going to check on the logistics. The meals were already there, the hall was set up with tables and decorations. There were clean plates and glasses in the table next to the kitchen.

I went to greet the guests, members of the church and the other pastors. Rose was busy in the kitchen when I got there. She had to clean up before seven then go and change. I had already changed before driving here, I knew there would be no time when I got here. I took an apron and helped her, the kids were playing outside waiting for the party.

"Good evening everyone, I'm very happy to be here with you today. My family is also here, lets all celebrate in the Lord's presents. Let's welcome pastor Richmond to our service." Pastor Jones said. We all stood up clapping our hands.

"Thank you, let us bow and send our prayers to the Lord."

Dear heavenly father, we thank you for this beautiful day. We thank you Lord for being with us, protecting and providing for us throughout the year. Father we know that your love is endless, your love is unconditional. We thank you for touching everyone's hearts Lord. We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for your grace Lord. Father we surrender all to you, we glorify your name Lord in Jesus name we pray. Touch each and everyone's life this day Lord as we're about to start another year. Let your kingdom come and your will be done Holly Spirit. We pray in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holly Spirit.

Amen

We all said, Amen before sitting down. Pastor Jones took us through the program. He wanted all the speakers to prepare themselves. I was a little nervous but Judith taught me a few tricks. I haven't been on public book signings but I was prepared.

Pastor Richmond from the city was going to give a sermon then a few speeches after. We started singing, worshipping as the pastor got to the stage. He started his sermon, the message of the day was. 'Do what he tells you.'

He preached for nearly an hour, he kept on singing as he preached. Everyone listened attentively, not even the kids got bored. The service was great, we kept on singing it was like we were in a concert. A few people had their speeches. I was the last one to talk, my nerves had come down.

I thanked everyone for coming and all the things they have done. I had a pad where I wrote my speech. I went through my speech telling them what made me dedicate myself into helping others. I read out all the people who made the day possible, thanking them. The donated items were sent to the front as I was giving my speech. I told them about the groceries, cosmetics and all the toys and clothes. The people started clapping their hands, the kids were so excited. The smile on their faces made me so emotional. Liam was sitting with his family they were cheering. Right before I finished my speech I noticed my parents by the entrance. I smiled at them, they looked very happy.

"Wow! Honey that was amazing." my mom said as I hugged them.

"I didn't know you were that brave baby girl, great speech" dad said as mom nudged his shoulder.

"You never told me you were coming. I would have arranged a table for you." I said as I noticed that they didn't have a table.

"It's okay honey, this day is about the kids not us. Anyway I've been sitting all day this is like exercising for me." that was my mom.

We stood there talking as the meals were being served. We went to the kitchen to help out, dad was left talking to Derrick. Amanda, Melissa, Rose, mom and a few people were in the kitchen helping. We went from serving to cleaning the dishes by eleven thirty we were all done and ready for the new year. People were singing on the other side of the hall. We went to join them. From there on people started praying till midnight. We hugged and wished each other happy new year.

Someone pulled me out of the hall into one of the small offices. He started kissing me, I knew exactly who it was. The kiss was heated at first then he got slowly. I pulled out when I couldn't breathe, we were both out of breath. He pulled me to his arms as we were panting, gasping for air.

"Happy new year" he said when he managed to talk.

"I'm sorry, I wanted to do that all week. You were too busy you didn't even call me." he was playing with my hair.

"Happy new year." I was smiling enjoying his embrace.

"Do you think they'll notice that you're gone? Can we stay like this for a while." I knew I didn't want to be parted from him from that moment. I stayed glued to his chest not saying anything.

We could hear people talking going up and down the hallway. Liam just locked the door. He pulled me to the couch by the wall. I was laying on his hard chest listening to his heart beat. The noise outside and his heart sounded like a lullaby. I fell asleep while the party was still on.