Notebook and Coffee

February 5 - Italy 08 : 45

  Upon unlocking the hotel door, I stumbled in the room and collapsed onto the desk chair opposite of the bed. I sighed, thinking back on what took place today. I felt quite unsettled, like something was missing, something that I just can't figure out. After all the exercise, I was as sticky as those Japanese fermented beans so I went to take a quick shower. That night, I had a really strange dream. I seemed distressed, running through a thick forest and bumped into someone. I glanced up and I was shocked. That person was none other than myself. She, or me, grabbed me and started talking in a language which sounded like a combination of multiple languages. Although the other me could speak, what she said was almost incomprehensible, almost. I strained my ear, trying to get a grasp on her gibberish. 

  What she stuttered became clearer and clearer and I could almost make out a word but I woke up. It was bright and my body felt weird as I looked around, I realized why. I feel asleep in the bathtub. I quickly got up and got dressed. This was the first time that I had woken up from a nightmare and I was sweating and panting a lot. I got out of the bathroom and turned towards the clock which displayed the numbers of 10 : 05. I laid down to think what I had just dreamt about. I heard something that sounded like hunter, or maybe santa? For the whole night, I just couldn't get the dream out of my head and before I knew, it was the next morning. I barely had any sleep from the night before and I was feeling extra awful. I was constantly yawning, the whole body felt heavy and to top it off, the dark eye circles that made me look like a literal panda. I got dressed, grabbed my notes and headed down towards the restaurant. On my way, I bumped into someone, it was one of the contestants, Caleb. He was also holding his notes so the paper flew everywhere.

"Sorry! I didn't see you there," the young boy apologized. Caleb was originally from Italy and is from one of the prestigious families. He was a year older than me, very respectful, outgoing and friendly. He had inky black hair which came with a pair of twinkling violet eyes. He can be recognized by the half hidden birthmark on his neck resembling the shape of a spade. I nodded at him as I collected all the papers and sorted it out. I handed the papers back to him and bowed but at the spur of the moment of when I was about to leave, he grabbed me by the arm and spun me around.

"I don't know if you know me but you're Araya right? Katie Araya," he exclaimed cheerfully." My name is Caleb and I'm thirteen this year. That's right, I'm a year older than you."

' Why does this guy know so much about me? ' I smiled and nodded.

" You're always alone, why not come and eat with me," he pulled of his charming smile that he showed to every other person as he dragged me towards the restaurant. 

We walked or he dragged me into the restaurant and he chose the most secluded seat. Pulling out the chair for me, he grinned :" Sit here and wait for me, I'll be right back."

I wanted to leave but I couldn't bear to leave that poor guy alone so I sat there and waited, and waited and waited. It was almost ten minutes and he still hasn't returned yet. Is this a joke? Just when I was about to give up waiting, he came back running, holding two plates of croissants and two yogurt cups. 

"Sorry you had to wait so long, there was a really long queue!" as he handed my plate over." Hold on, I still haven't gotten the drinks yet, be right back!"

I tried to refuse by holding my hand up to gesture but he already took off. " What a weirdo, isn't he a little bit too friendly," I pondered, savoring every bite. I hated wasting food. That guy came back with two cups of coffee. One with extra cream and another plain. 

" Here you are," handing me the one with extra, extra cream. " I heard that girls like sweet things, so I gave you extra cream and creamer. I hope you like it."

I stared at him quizzically whereas he just stood there, grinning from ear to ear. Feeling uneasy, I decided to try to smell if he had put anything in my drink. Although there was a strong smell of coffee, there was just enough alcohol to be sensed. I gently returned the cup back to its saucer and lied by gesturing that I did not like sweet things. I exchanged his cup and mine and smiled at him to proceed drinking the spiked coffee. Caleb smirked and finally sat down.

"I see that you have figured out my trick, it's no surprise you made it until this distance," the trickster, impressed." What a waste of the cream and coffee though. Anyways, let's hang out! You seem very interesting and I want to get to know you more! What do you think? Here, write in this notebook."

 I glared at him as I scribbled off into the notebook.  ' This morning, when you bumped into me, it was all planned isn't it? I noticed that you have been observing me since the beginning. What do you want?' He stared at the notebook and glanced at me, his once charming smile fading away gradually. He leaned closer to me :" Isn't it obvious? I'm interested, in you."