2. Loss

Days like these, are the days you wish the most to be somewhere else. I stand here today in a state of grief. My childhood friend, my best friend, Leslie Sue had passed away from a major concussion. He fell from his balcony window from an apartment building. At least people believe that's what happened. I was called by his mum, I was with Max at the time - after his little prank a few weeks ago. I had avoided him after that night and he grew angry since I spent the time with Leslie. I told Max what I had been told and he didn't seem surprised, at least he did at first and consoled me crying - but after he told me what he had done. He didn't even seem ashamed. Max had hidden in the apartment whilst me and Leslie were out having coffee after our lessons, Max said he had waited for him to get back and as he went out to hang his washing - Max pushed him over the railing and he fell. Even described the thud from when he landed... To that I threw daggers at him with my eyes. But after Max's words that night, the way he spoke them; I'm always going to be afraid of him, but I still love him. I can't help it.

Here I stand biting the inside of my cheek to stop from crying, Max's hold on my waist grew tighter each time I shifted my position. We stood in a half semi-circle around the casket above its final resting place, Leslie's mother was close to dying from the exhaustion of crying to the point of suffocation and his father stood struggling to hold his wife up.

I felt sorry for them, especially since they thought it was an accident. Of which it wasn't.. but only I knew and I couldn't tell anyone because they wouldn't have believed me. And because only god knows what Max would do..

Suddenly Max pulled away from me and walked somewhere. Suddenly there was shouting, I wiped a tear and turned to see what was going on. Max and some bloke were arguing by a tree behind us.

"Hey Max!-" I rushed over, pulling him away from the person. "What's going on? We are at a funeral, you can't just fight anyone that you feel like fighting!"

I looked at the person and Max pulled me away from him.

"He's dangerous, Char. You don't understand."

"Then tell me then! Make me understand!" I exclaimed shakily.

He pulled me away and took me outside.

"He has a suspicion that I... killed Leslie." Max told me.

"What? How does he know?" I asked him, scaredly in case the person thought I was involved as well. "Who is he?"

"He was someone that I was involved with a few years back. He's dangerous!" Max told me with cold eyes as he regarded me. "His name is Jamie Miller, Char but promise me you'll stay away from him."

"Yeah I promise." I crossed my fingers behind my back and looked away from him.

He grabbed my face and dug his nails into my cheeks and looked me into the eyes. "Promise me."

"I, I can't, I'm really sorry Max." I pulled away from him and ran back into the room where the funeral was being held.

"Charlotte!" Max called after me frustratingly.

I didn't turn around and heard his footsteps after me. I walked in and saw that everyone was huddled around Leslie's coffin. I walked over to where me and Max were standing earlier and grabbed the flowers that I had brought with me. I walked over to where the coffin was and placed the flowers down. I placed my hand on the coffin and broke down. Max walked up to me and grabbed me by the arm. He turned me to face him and he slapped me against the cheek. I gasped in pain and put my hand to my face. Everyone heard me and looked.

I carried on crying and he looked at everyone and realising what he had just done; trying to hug me and say sorry. I looked at him and as he tried to hug me, I got his hand off of my arm and backed away from him. I ran out of the door. Leslie's mum looked at Max in disgust and ran after me to console me. I sank to the floor in despair and I heard footsteps. I quickly rubbed my eyes and looked to see who it was and it was Leslie's mum, Vera Sue.

"Charlotte! Are you ok? Who was that in there?" she asked me, hurriedly.

"I'm fine. That was my um boyfriend Max.." I heaved a sigh and looked at her.

"That was Max Johnson?" she asked me worriedly.

"Yeah. Why? Did you know him?" I asked curiously.

"No but Leslie mentioned him a few times and from what I heard he's super dangerous.. And protective." she told me cautiously.

"Yeah.. he is." I told her, wiping away a tear and looking away to the clouds above.

"You take care now Charlotte, I am always here if you need me," Vera smiled lightly, trying hard to stay strong for my sake. "Always."

"Thank you Vera!" I told her, smiling lightly at her.

"No problem!" Vera told me. She stood up, looked at me sympathetically and walked away slowly leaving me on the floor alone.

I waited until I was sure she was gone and let my tears run freely from my eyes. I sighed heavily (thumbling my hands) and thought, "I wish that Leslie was still here so that I could talk to him. He's the only one that I can trust. His mum said that I can trust her, but can I trust her to be able to talk about my problems?" 

 I heard more footsteps so I turned around. It was Max.

"Max go away!" I shouted at him.

"I think we need to have a bit of fun first, don't you?" he asked me maliciously.

"What do you mean?" I asked him scaredly. 

"Exactly what I said, my dear."