16. Woke up.

News of the princess' mana explosion was kept strictly confidential. But, the emperor searched far and wide for a magician who could cure her.

But to no avail.

The emperor sat at the edge of the bed looking at the unconscious princess. Memories of what he tried to forget resurfaced. All the pain and despair he felt that day was felt again. That day, he gave up. But still could not completely give up.

Maybe it was because of this little girl. She was the fruit of their love. She was their daughter. She was his responsibility. Yet he abandoned her, thinking she took her away. But no! He just had to abandon her, abandon a newborn baby in the middle of a pile of corpses. In the middle of abusive maids.

As his trembling hand reached her cheek, he quickly retracted it and lowered his head in self loathe.

It was all his fault.

****

The mana explosion that occured caused a huge disturbance.

It started raining uncharacteristically. Sometimes in the palace, sometimes a snowstorm would occur in a dukedom and whatnot.

****

In the middle of it all, the unknown voice sounded, not that it was heard by anyone.

" Idiot! Wake up!!!! Your wife is already suffering!!!! Wake up!!!!" The frantic voice continued to scream at the black haired man lying asleep in one of the rooms of the emerald palace.
(Aoi: lol even the voice ships them.)

****

"L-lucas!!" A voice sounded.

Lucas raised his head looking around finding the source of the voice. To no avail.

"Wake up! You idiot!" Another voice sounded. Only that he knew who it was.

****
As the mana waves reached him, as though frantically calling him for rescue. Lucas slowly woke up.

"Argh. Just who is it?!" He ruffled his hair in frustration as he was forcefully woken up from sleep.

The mana was still nudging him, telling him to hurry. He annoyedly reached out towards it but stopped midway as he stared at his own hand in shock.

What the fuck?!

****
"She's alright now." Lucas said as his hand hovered over Athanasia's forehead stabilizing her mana, letting it flow easily through her meridians.

He didn't know why he was here. He just had the impulse to come and save this little thing and he just did it.

Looking at her closely, he could feel a mix of mana in her body. And the most baffling thing was, even his own mana was there and it was locked with a special spell only he knew about! This was the spell he had invented before going into his slumber. Nobody ever knew about it.

There were only two possibilities here, first was he did it himself but it was impossible since he went to sleep directly and never had a chance of using it on anybody including himself. Second, she reinvented it herself.

Just have to wait for her to wake up..

Another reason for his shock was-

"Mmm... Where is this?..." His thoughts were interrupted as the little girl woke up, rubbing her eyes.

"You woke up." A voice called out to her and her entire body went stiff.

She mechanically turned over to see him. Tears started flowing down her eyes as she pounced and hugged him tightly.