27 | Leaving

Elena decided to visit Oda. Miguel had insisted that he pick her up and bring her there, but Elena had won their hearty argument this time. As Elena rode over to their home, she pulled out the photo that she and Andreas had taken. She smiled when she saw that Andreas hadn't looked into the camera when he snapped the photo, but was actually looking at her. 

Sometimes, everything seemed like a dream. The entire trip seemed like she was having a dream and would wake up at any moment now. She pulled up to the neighborhood that Oda and Miguel belonged to. They had a small farm and a very humble home. The most striking element was the flowers that wound around the house. It looked old but cozy. 

Elena walked up the gravel pathway and the grey, round stones that surrounded it on either side. An eroding white fountain was in the front yard and a small circular window looked out to the colourful garden. Elena saw a cat looking at her apprehensively from the corner of the house. It meowed and carefully approached her. Elena petted its soft, black fur and the cat gladly accepted her affection, rubbing its head against Elena's palm. She stood up and knocked on the rusty, white door. She heard some clamoring inside and a momentary pause. She heard the lock open and a young man stood before her.

"Elena!" Miguel greeted her as he ushered her inside. "Welcome!"

"Thank you," Elena smiled at him.

She removed her shoes and stepped onto the wooden, creaky floor. A rocking chair was placed in the living room as well as two aqua-coloured sofas that were perpendicular to each other. Souvenirs from all over the world found themselves in every nook and cranny. Porcelain decor, fragile china, statues of Buddha, landmark magnets, pots and vases, and other artifacts made the place look like a museum. To the left was a cozy kitchen with a rectangular, wooden dining table right next to it. The cat she had seen earlier meowed and brushed past her.

Miguel chuckled. "Seems like Niro likes you. Please, take a seat."

Elena dragged her suitcase to the side and sat in the aqua loveseat and folded her arms. She looked at the floral pattern on the Matryoshka dolls on the chestnut-coloured shelf. Miguel sat across from her on the other sofa and smiled.

"Oda will be here shortly," He told her. "She's just in the garden."

Elena nodded her head.

"Can I get you something?" Miguel asked. "Maybe some water?"

"That'd be great," Elena said.

Miguel walked over to the kitchen which was only a couple of feet away. He came back with a glass of water and a bowl of oatmeal cookies and set both things on the glass table.

"Thanks," Elena said.

"How were your travels?" He asked as she took a large sip of the water.

"They were great," Elena said, putting the glass back down on the table. "I got to see the Old City and took a tour of Isla de Flos. It was spectacular."

"Isla de Flos?" Miguel asked, intrigued.

Elena heard someone else's footsteps approaching from down the hallway between the living room and kitchen.

"Elena!" Said a familiar voice from around the corner.

Oda appeared with a walking stick, slowly making her way towards her. Elena got up and hugged her tight.