Chapter 11

"Do these have any milk in them?" Dodge asked after we parked in an empty lot. We both shook our cans and had already opened them.

"I don't know, let me look it up." I said, pulling my phone out. Rather than on the can, the nutrition facts were written on the box. After reading for half an instant, I spoke up again. "It contains 'whey from milk'."

"So it is chocolate milk." Dodge said.

"No, it contains something that milk contains." I shook my head. "I wonder what the next challenge is going to be."

"Are there any traditions in Panic?" Dodge asked, trying to narrow the options down.

"I've been watching it for a few years." I said, trailing off to think about the challenges from the previous years. "There's a haunted house in Carp."

"Are you serious?" He looked at me.

"Yeah, but I'm not sure if it's going to be the next challenge." I said with a nod.

"But now we have an idea of our next challenge." Dodge shrugged, taking a swig of his Yoo-Hoo. (No joke, as I watch SpongeBob with my cousin at my grandparent's house whilst drinking a lovely Yoo-Hoo)

"That's true." I agreed. We sat in the silence of his car until we both finished our drinks, then he drove me home. 

About half a week later, all the remaining players met up at Carp's haunted house. I had already told Dodge about the house's story. 

"You can't leave until we tell you that you can." Diggins told us all. "Hookups are very common during this challenge."

"And sabotage is highly encouraged." The other announcer said (I'm pretty sure her name is Abby or something, so we're going to call her that). "Bonus points if you record their reaction."

"Extra bonus points if you can solve the riddles written on the walls." Diggins finished. Then we were all sent inside the house. Cobwebs inhabited every corner, the old wallpaper was peeling off of the walls, ancient furniture littered the house, and the incredibly old floorboards creaked beneath our feet. 

At first, we all shuffled around in one massive cluster. Eventually, we split up. Dodge and I stayed together as per our partnership. 

"You have a flashlight, right?" He asked in a whisper. I nodded and took mine out. Within moments, my light flashed over red writing. I held my unoccupied fist out to Dodge for him to fist bump. We both made the quiet exploding noise (FORESHADOWING MY DUDES YOU KNOW WHAT'S COMING UP) we took a few moments to solve it, then moved the another room. We ended up finding a near pitch black room. Dodge went to inspect the other side.

After briefly going through a dusty bookshelf, I turned around to search another aspect of the room. Much to my surprise, I crashed into something dangling from the ceiling. 

"You good?" Dodge asked, hearing my gasp. I scoffed and went over to him, wordlessly reaching into his pocket and took his pocketknife out. I then reached up and cut the noosed rope that held a dummy. It thudded to the floor and I handed his knife back to him. 

"All good." I replied. We both then left the room. 

We spent another long while solving a trail of red-written riddles until we ended up standing in front of a tall grandfather clock. 

"I got it." Dodge said in a whisper, pushing the clock a few inches to the side, revealing a busted outlet. 

"There's no power, right?" I asked as we both sat down to examine it.

"None of the light switches work." Dodge shrugged. He then pulled a slip of paper out of the open outlet and we read it. 

"There might be something else in there." I decided in a hushed tone after a few moments of thought. I then slipped my hand into the powerless outlet. As if by a stroke of bad luck, electrical light bursted (I know that's not a word) out of the socket, thus throwing me back and knocking me out.

~Dodge's POV because 670 words aren't enough~

"There might be something else in there." Clem said, sticking her hand into the outlet again, but shockingly enough, it lit up and she was thrown back. I dropped the riddle paper and shook her.

"Clem!" I hissed, figuring out that she was knocked unconscious. 

"Fire!" I heard someone yell shrilly. Drew skidded to a halt by Clem and I.

"What the hell happened?" He asked sharply, clearly shocked.

"The power came on." I said hurriedly. 

"We have to leave the house." Drew said decisively. I quickly nodded in agreement and picked Clem up. Drew busted the door open and we were outside.

~Next chapter in Clem's POV~