Chapter 18

(I don't super remember how the joust worked. I'm going to improvise because I am watching the show right now, but I don't want to lose progress and risk muddling the storyline by skipping from the second to tenth episode.)

As it turned out, Dodge and I were the final contestants of Panic. Heather ended up with a pretty severe respiratory infection after the fire. Ray cheated in his personal challenge. Natalie forfeited the game to try and salvage her friendship with Heather. She actually ended up being a judge. So, it's me versus Dodge. Dodge had his car for the joust and somebody surrendered an old car for the game since I don't have one. My ultimate plan is to lose. Dodge needs the money more than I do. Fifty thousand dollars could get him far. They had attached long wooden lances to both cars. Worst case scenario, the wood goes through a windshield and one of us gets hurt. Best case scenario, Dodge's lance goes through my windshield and misses my head. 

"On your marks," Diggins said in an ominous tone. "Get set, guys. Drive."

At his words, our cars charged forward. As the distance closed, which seemed to be happening in slow-motion, a green flash caught my eye. Ray was using his laser again. I watched as the green light flashed over Dodge's eyes. It seemed that Dodge had the same plan as me. He was going to avoid hitting me. But the blinding distraction caused Dodge to falter in his path. His wooden lance shot through my windshield. The sound of the glass shattering pierced my ears and I watched Dodge's face fall. The lance caught my arm, which I had been using to guard my face, and drove it into the backseat headrest, thus dragging me into the backseat while the car free-drove straight into a tree. I watched as the hood of the car caught fire. I started yanking at my arm, but the efforts were in vain. The lance had my right bicep pinned into the seat. So now, it's only a matter of time until either someone comes to get me or I die.

~Dodge's POV~

While I was temporarily blinded, I heard the dreaded sound of shattering glass. The laser disappeared and I watch fear light up in Clem's eyes when the wooden pole thrust into her arm. My car went past hers before I could see the rest. I got out of the car the instant her car was clear of mine, only to be crowded by triumphant teenagers. It was an absolute horde. When I finally pushed past the people, I saw a fire burning over Clem's car. I could hear the blood rushing in my ears as I sprinted to free her. I saw her fighting to free herself from the backseat. Once my hand landed on the door of the car, I thought I made it in time. That is until I was thrown back with the deafening sound of an explosion. I was thrown back and my ears instantly blocked all other sound but ringing. 

Abby, Jimmy, and Clem are the lives taken in the game.