Be brave

.o.

The meeting between Mino and Junkyu went down just like Haruto had said. Mino had been in too good of a mood to be grumpy, so right away Junkyu was at ease.

Haruto sets aside his Jello as he munches on some fries and takes small bites of the pasta salad. He does swipe half a slice of Junkyu's bacon, just because he can. He doesn't really know how close Mino and Junkyu were prior to this moment: one growing up too frightened of anyone touching or coming close and the other intentionally pushing people away to not show weakness. To watch them sit together, the way Mino leans more toward his grandson and the way Junkyu keeps moving his chair closer, it breaks Haruto's heart in a huge way. He isn't regretting ever meeting either man, kind of ecstatic to be here to help rebuild their once strong bond.

Mino's voice is slurring, so it takes him a few seconds longer to speak, but Junkyu is riveted to every single word uttered. His face shows genuine interest and he laughs out loud with no holds barred. There's quite a few tender moments: like Junkyu pressing his brow to Mino's shoulder or his wayward hand smoothing across hunched shoulders, Mino would let his gnarled left hand extend to weakly touch Junkyu's right arm, or let his fingers caress over the hard, square jaw and cheek. It was obvious how much affection flittered between them, that they both still had guilt and regrets, but there was enough effort in them to want to be in each other's lives. To finally rid them both of Yuna's silent terror.

Junkyu has quickly stood, hand clamped around Mino's hand and then he looks down at the strange jacket still in his grasp Mino must've been curious and inquired. Junkyu nods his head, chin to chest like he's a little embarrassed about something he talking about. Then he bends low to whisper a few private words into Mino's good ear. He left after that and Haruto can see the nurse trying to point Haruto out to Mino. Haruto waves, feeling like a fool as Junkyu returns to the table.

“Go say 'hi'. He's getting better at recalling faces.”

As Haruto stands, Junkyu hands him his suit jacket. “Keep it. For now. You're doin' a great job of holding onto it.” He makes his way over, he doesn't even bother taking a seat as he kneels by Mini"s wheelchair. He feels the sloppy hand over his face, the leathery skin soothing his cheek and jaw bone. There were no words Mino feels he can utter at the joy he's got at seeing Junkyu out in the world. Haruto closes his eyes, swallowing down his emotions. “Why didn't you just tell me who he was? I wished I'd met him sooner. Maybe this way is for the best, huh?”

The thumb scratched lightly over stubble, those eyes staring in total bliss at Haruto's face.

“You old man, playing matchmaking. Okay, I confess… I like him. I like him a lot. I think I could - I shouldn't be saying this, but I think I could start to care about him more than I have any other guy.” Mino makes a noise at Haruto's confession, turning his head to lean back on the pillowed cushion at the back of his head. He looks at the ceiling - skyward to the heavens - and his hand clamps around the side of Haruto's neck as he lets the moisture in his eyes squeeze out in single tracks of tears down his cheeks. Haruto's curious about the reaction, wondering what Junkyu had told Mino about him and their situation as of this moment.

Haruto gets off his knees, grabbing for Mino's hand to then lean over, wiping away the tears so he can press a tender kiss to the weathered temple. “Guess I'll be seein' ya 'round these parts, Mino. Don't worry too much, I'll help take care of Junkyu.” He feels the gentle tightening to his hand then takes off, back to the table.

Junkyu has been watching the whole five-minute moment unfold, containing his need to sob outright. He knew the minute he saw Haruto kneel by Mino's side that his heart was trapped for good, never to be his alone to give to anyone else. The remaining time Junkyu had held his breath, falling more deeply in love, if that was possible, far surpassing that childish infatuation back in high school. This was real and mature, less likely to vanish at the first sign of trouble.