Ch 27.2: Brineport

It wasn't long before they entered what was visibly a residential area, away from the bustle of the main streets. Cobble streets lined with beautiful, half-timbered cottages of orange, red, yellow and green. They were large yet cosy, with flower-filled window boxes and a distinctive frame of wooden beams crisscrossing over the facade.

Ella observed her surroundings wide-eyed–her sour mood slowly but surely fizzled out as she took in the vivid colours of the timbered houses and their whimsical charm. Towering crimson alders lined the streets, their scarlet leaves crunching under her boots as she stared at the multitude of brand new surroundings.

Nestled between the residential houses, a large park took up acres and acres of space. It was a glorious sight of colossal trees, heads of crimson, orange and gold. Ella could only gape as they walked deeper into the park, the sweet scent of soil, damp wood and tree sap permeating into her lungs, making her swell with delight.

The park was deeply wooded in some areas, with oaks, firs and predominantly alders. Between the groves of mossy trees, clear ponds of water popped up, home to frogs, dragonflies and zooming water sprites.

A sloping, messy lawn of vivid green opened up between the towering trees, littered with bluebells and mounds of autumn leaves. A group of small fae children bolted past them, tumbling into the piles in fits of giggles. As they walked further ahead into the coarse path of forest floor, more faeries came into view. Elves on picnics, small goblin children on wooden swings hanging from branches, gaggles of pixies tittering as they walked arm in arm, eating candied apples.

"This is Alder Park," Aedion said, as they reached what seemed to be the centre of the park. It was clear the name came from the multitude of trees around.

A lake sprawled across the middle, its water green-tinged and vibrant. Around the edge of the lake, a trio of musicians commanded the attention of a group of attentive spectators.

Ella stood rooted to the spot, listening intently as she clasped a hand to her chest. They had peculiar instruments; a golden harp–bearing many more strings than its human counterpart–and a strange flute, artfully coiled like a cat's tail. The sounds that came from their instruments were unlike anything Ella had ever heard, a new sound that called to her ears and curled around her heart.

The elven woman singing swayed gently, long blonde locks drifting in the wind as her sweet, melancholic voice accompanied the exquisite notes of music. Her honeyed tone crooned about a lover gone to war with such sorrow in her voice that it was as if she were reading a lovesick letter. The haunting melody tugged at Ella's heartstrings, blurring everything around her.

As the last notes drifted through the air, a gentle hand on her shoulder startled her out of her stupor, and Ella realized she'd been mesmerized, not even acknowledging that Aedion had left and come back. Turning, she met his amused expression as he handed her a large, doughy roll topped with glazing, wrapped in a napkin.

"Juniper makes the best sweets I've ever tasted," Aedion gestured towards a stand where a friendly Goblin was selling frosted pastries.

Aedion motioned for her to follow, leading her up a lichen-covered wooden bridge that crossed the lake. They stopped halfway and watched the ducks chortling and crowding around a grig child throwing seeds.

Ella bit into the pastry and was immediately met with an explosion of flavour–sweet, buttery and rich with cinnamon. Utterly perfect. "This is so good, I love cinnamon," she hummed in delight.

Aedion watched her with a guarded smile. "I know."

Ella inquisitively tilted her head at his comment. "How do you--" Her eyebrows rose infinitesimally, and a small, flustered smile burst free. Right, her perfume. Cinnamon. She didn't think he'd have noticed it. "I see," she said simply, her cheeks going slightly pink.