Chapter 2

Bang. Bang. Bang.
         "Wake the fuck up, Ryans!"
         Bang. Bang. Bang.
         "Can you hear me, Ryans! I said get the fuck up! It's five in the fucking morning! Time to get up!"
          I sit up in my uncomfortable bed and put my pretend finger-gun to my head, pulling the trigger, "Yeah, I hear ya! I'm up!"
         "Hurry up, Ryans! Aaryn won't wait forever!"
         "I'm working on it!"
        I pull open the metal drawer attached to my bed and fish for one of the many black tank tops and black cargo shorts.
         What a variety.
          Finishing getting dressed, I grab my black belt and make sure to put my hair up in a black ponytail holder. Standing in the full length mirror, I let out a deep breath.
         It's only been a week. No more tears, though. Odd. I guess I'm all cried out. But, don't worry, Emmy. I'll fight for you.
          Bang. Bang. Bang.
          "Let's go, Ryans! Before I barge in on your 14-year-old ass!"
         "Fifteen! I'm fifteen! And I'm working on it!"
          Jackass.
          I readjust the bottom of my tanktop and open the door.
         If Ace yells in my face, I'm gonna punch him in his. Loss of phone privileges or not.
          Ace grunts, "Follow me."

          After a long and silent walk down the hallway, we finally walk through the gym and out to the courtyard. And my heart drops when I see Aaryn with his hands behind his back.
          "You're late...again."
          "I'm sorry."
          Maybe I'd I wasn't worked until close to midnight, I would get up on time.
        "Try telling that to your dead vampire."
         He passes the punching bag toward me like it's the mere weight of a tether ball.
         "Let's get to work."

         After a grueling session of punching a punching bag and doing possibly every exercise known to man, Aaryn throws me a water bottle.
         He grins, "Let's take a break."
          I instantly take the bottle and wipe the condensation down my neck. Because despite the fact that it's fall, and every leaf is falling on the outside perimeter of this place, this session has left me hot and panting like a dog.
         Sitting on the wall next to Aaryn, I remember the first conversation we had a week ago:
         "How are the nightmares?"
         "My family just died, and I watched them."
          "So, you're not okay?"
          "Right now, I can't believe you have the audacity to ask me that."
          "That's fair."
          "Answer me honestly."
         "Yes, Raindrop?"
         "Did you know? Was it planned?"
         "Yes. But, that doesn't mean I like it. It's just something that had to be done."
         "So, you don't support it?"
         "I don't support a lot of the things The Council asks me to do. But, often times, it keeps peace between us, the supernatural, and the humans."
          "I hate The Council."
          "Trust me, you're not the only one. But, don't ever let a Council member hear you say that."
         "Mr. Sawyer-"
          "Aaryn. Just call me Aaryn. Mr. Sawyer is too formal. If you want to be formal in this world, though, you would call me brother. Like a brother-in-arms type of thing."
         "Aaryn...does it get easier?"
         "Only if you channel your emotions into your training. But, that doesn't mean it disappears. Find something or someone to fight for."
                                 ~
         Aaryn looks over at me, "How are you holding up?"
        "Well, you were right. It doesn't disappear. But, I think I'm done crying. It doesn't do anything but give me a headache."
         The sudden buzz of the morning bell to first class sounds over the intercom, and Aaryn lets out a laugh.
         "So much for a break."
         He nudges my arm, "Don't worry. I still need you in my office."
        "But, I'll be late to first class."
         "I'll write you a pass."
         I sigh as I follow him away from the courtyard, "Okay."

        Walking into his office, I feel the energy shift as his demeanor changes from lighthearted and happy to serious and concerning.
          "Shut the door."
          I do as instructed, and my heart begins to pound as I awkwardly place my hands in front of me.
         He walks over to me, and I notic emy phone in his hand as my heart seems to pick up speed, "I shouldn't be giving you this. You were late. However," my heart sinks suddenly knowing there's a catch, "I've talked to Ace. Who is Cadence?"
          There it is.
         My heart stops, "I'll do anything. I swear. Just please don't hurt him."
         "Calm down." The energy changes again as a caring, concerned look appears in his blue-green eyes, "No one's getting hurt. I just want to know who he is."
         "He's my best friend."
         "He seems like a little more than that."
         "I mean, we're dating."
         "So, he's a boyfriend."
         "Yes. Why are you going through my phone?"
        "He actually texted it. He's concerned."
        "Hell yes, he's concerned. It's a small town. He probably found out my family was murdered and I'm missing."
         He hands me my phone, "End it."
         "What?"
         "End. It. Trust me, Rain. Nothing good comes from this. There will be so much you can't explain."
         "But, I can't just -"
         He scribbles something onto a notepad before ripping it off and handing it to me, "You can. You have until the end of the week, or I will push you harder than you've ever been pushed."