Few Moments Left

Helen sighed in her waiting chair. She looked at the woman at the desk and showed her a look of impatience. The woman nodded and turned to say something to her coworker.

Another woman from the back stepped into the room and called out her name.

"Finally." Helen muttered.

She stood up and began to stride over to the hallway. Suddenly her phone began to ring in her pocket. She gave a look of confusion. No one ever called her.

She lifted her phone to see who it was.

It was Daniel! Her ex boyfriend that she had honestly forgotten about. She let it ring for a few seconds as she stared at it. Why was he calling her? She had left him, expecting him to leave her alone for the rest of her life.

Helen looked up at the woman who was guiding her. She looked impatient. Helen shrugged.

"Do you mind if I take this for a quick moment?" She asked.

The woman shook her head, "Go ahead. I'll wait."

Helen smiled her thanks then jogged out of the building. As soon as he was outside she swiped the button and put the phone to her ear.

"Hello?" She asked.

A shaky, weak voice answered, "Oh thank goodness! You answered!"

"Daniel? What's wrong? Why are you calling me? I thought I made it clear before that I-"

"I know, Helen. Just-" here he stopped and coughed viciously for a few moments then continued, "Please hear me out."

Helen wondered what was wrong with him. He sounded terrible. She sighed heavily then said, "Fine."

Daniel took a moment to breathe then said, "I am dying. I knew this day was coming. Just didn't know it was going to happen so soon. I wanted to call you to say...to say that I am sorry. I'm sorry for everything."

Helen felt her heart drop. Tears began to form around her eyes. But she wasn't going to let this take control of her. She cleared her throat and wiped her eyes, "How are you dying? What's going on?"

"I never told you that I had cancer, Helen. I didn't want to believe it so I never told you. It's finally catching up on me. I won't live long. That's why I needed to call you and tell you that I am truly sorry. I was horrible to you. I was a complete jerk."

Helen let the tears flow now. She took a deep breath, suddenly remembering spending those few months with him. He was right. He had been horrible. But not the entire time. She remembered all the good times they had. The times they laughed, the times they had fun, the times they shared loving each other. It hadn't all been bad. She didn't want him to die thinking he was the worst person on the Earth.

"Where are you Daniel?" She asked.

Daniel took a moment to respond then said, "It doesn't matter."

Helen gritted her teeth, "Tell me where you are now. I need to see you."

"Helen I really doubt that-"

"Daniel! Enough! Please...tell me where you are."

Daniel was silent for a few moments then answered slowly, "I'm at the local hospital. Room 23."

Helen memorized the number then nodded, "Alright. Don't move. I'm coming."

Daniel didn't respond so Helen hung up. She turned to run towards her car but instantly remembered the woman waiting on her. She turned and faced the window. The woman was standing near it so Helen waved her arms to show that she had to go. The woman saw her, gave a look of confusion, then nodded to show that she didn't mind.