19. Hidden Trauma

"I'm getting sick and tired of funerals," Sam mumbled dropping at the table in their grandmother's kitchen.

Tom had to agree. Even if Grace's memorial service didn't even compare to Kyle's in terms of emotional strain, it actually had a body and they did bury something. It had been short, to the point and eventless for once, even if he'd half expected his mother and Kay to have another go at each other over the casket. Fortunately, no such thing happened. Unfortunately, Ron had decided to disappear right after the service and was not picking up his phone.

"Do you think Ron's going to be okay?" Tom asked. He hadn't liked the air of complete misery swarming around his uncle.

"I don't know," Sam said, rubbing his eyes. "But I've decided to believe that he's a grown-ass man and should be able to take care of himself."

Tom wanted to believe that too, but ever since they'd called him three days ago and let him know, Ron had been quiet, jumpy and seemed pretty out of it. If he'd known where his uncle went, Tom would've followed him just to make sure he was alright.

But, to be fair, he could totally see Sam's point. His twin had taken care of the funeral preparations again. Their mother wouldn't touch it since she and her mother-in-law hadn't been very close, Ron was too unbalanced by the news and a wanted criminal to boot, while Bill had only come as a guest, just like he had at his own son's memorial. They could still hear him upstairs, searching through all the rooms as if looking for stuff he could easily pillage.

Tom had no idea how to feel about any of that. He was very aware that his grandmother had been executed, but the idea was so ludicrous, he couldn't come to terms with it. There was shock, there was some pain, but most of all, there was a feeling of uncertainty that crawled under his skin and wouldn't let him sleep. For a second, he wished he could go home, but their work was far from over.

After the service, Sam had suggested that the girls go home with the kids to spare them of the dreary atmosphere and potential family fights that could follow. After helping them search the house for a potential will, Jerry had gone home too for a few hours to take over handling Michael and give Sarah the chance to rest.

Only Jessie had stayed behind to help, a silent buffer between them and Bill, but now she was getting ready to leave as well. Tom's gaze flitted absently to the back door where she and Jimmy stood in threshold, talking in hushed voices.

And on top of all that, everything felt so wrong without Kyle.

"So, does Bill inherit everything now?" Tom asked, even if he didn't care much.

"Technically him and Ron. Don't think that Ron living on the run impairs his right to inheritance. But Angie would know more about that."

If only Ron were there to make sure his rights were preserved. It was maybe weird that Tom was so worried about him. If he stopped to think about it, he sort of saw a lot of himself in his uncle. Random, sassy, not the biggest fan of responsibility... That was his youth, right there. Except he'd grown up and now had a family he loved to death and a son that looked a lot like Ron.

With loud thumping steps, Bill made his way down the stairs, a box under one arm.

"Well," he said, stopping in the doorway, "I guess this is it."

"What, you're leaving already?" Sam asked, turning to him.

Bill threw a fleeting glance towards the door and his mouth twisted into a snarl. "Not just yet, it seems."

Tom followed his gaze and rolled his eyes. Yes, Jimmy and Jessie were still in the doorway and their foreheads were pressed together, but it wasn't like they wouldn't move to let him out.