31. Redemption

Kay hated having to do this. She hated a lot of things she'd ended up forced to do. But she never thought she would hate fighting with Max so much.

"No, definitely not." Max crossed his arms over his chest, scowling at her. "You are not dropping the kids here and running off into a jungle when you're pregnant."

She also hated that this pregnancy had started showing so quickly, as if to intentionally blow every chance she ever had of hiding it. But it was true. She already had pregnancy jeans on and a large t-shirt, but since she didn't usually wear them, the reason for her baggy attire was obvious. 

Max had of course picked up on it, and after an initial bout of joy, the storm had replaced it. Rosario had immediately picked up on his mood and led the kids outside to see the horses. Eric stayed behind, but awkwardly leaned against the wall.

"Look, I know there are a lot of kids--"

"A lot of kids? That's not the issue!"

It was. Kay knew it was, and not because Max and Rosario couldn't take care of them by hiring an army of babysitters, but because there were too many of them in the same place without proper protection. They'd be a sitting target.

"I'm not changing my mind, Max."

"I'm not going to let you risk Kyle's..." His voice faded as his gaze moved past her shoulder and to Eric.

Flames seemed to have replaced Kay's blood and she leaned forward, fists clenched. "Don't you dare open your mouth and even suggest it. Eric is my friend. I'm never going to replace Kyle." Because in her heart and mind, she was going to Brazil to find him. Unfortunately, no one seemed to understand that.

Sometimes, even she couldn't understand it. Her little adventure would most likely end up hurting her even more, and she was also aware of the risks. But something inside her didn't let her sit this one out. She trusted her body, she trusted the serum, and she trusted her faith. It would work out. It had to.

"Of course, I know that," Max said, even if his voice was now a little meek.

"I know that you're trying to protect me. You all are. But I have to do this. For myself and for Kyle."

"Kay..." Max's voice was filled with pain and his eyes became glassy. "I know what you're hoping, but that doesn't erase the danger."

"I'm taking Eric with me. It's not the worst thing I've done. It will be fine." When Max opened his mouth to argue, she cut him off. "You can't stop me. Whatever you say won't change my mind. Trust me, whatever it is you're thinking, Jimmy said it before you. All of them have. They even left me behind."

"Rightfully so," he mumbled.

"And I'm not leaving my kids here."

This got his attention again. "Why not? Rosario and I can handle it."

"I know. I just don't want so many targets in one place."

"So where are you taking them?" Max narrowed his eyes. "If you think for one second that you're taking them with you--"

Kay heaved a sigh. "I'm taking them to my parents'."

"You're parents?" Max sounded appropriately shocked since Kay hadn't spoken to them in eight years. She was actually a little scared they wouldn't even open the door for her.

"Yes. They're close enough to you, but far away so that..." Her voice trailed off because she couldn't face telling Max that he and his family may outright be attacked because of them. She only hoped that Philip would do his damn job and protect them.