Chapter 13

Tuesday

Blowing out a long, heavy sigh, Ashley propped herself up on the apartment handrail. The fact that she hadn't eaten anything yet since this morning and only a salad last night made her body feel so drained. Joey's words last week about her carbs affected her eating habits because it made her feel fat. And now after having classes from 7:30 AM to 12:30 PM, she felt under the weather and just wanted to get to her bed.

"Rough day?"

A voice in front of her made her jump. When she looked up, she eyed Harley standing there with a backpack hung on one shoulder and a shoe bag in one hand. The presence of him caused her to feel sheepish.

"Oh, h- hi, Harley! Didn't see you there," Ashley said awkwardly. "Going to class?"

"Yeah, but going to run an important errand first. Dropping this off to the captain," Harley held up the shoe bag, "then class after that."

"That moron forgot his shoe bag?" she scoffed, shaking her head.

He shrugged as he chuckled then studied her face. "Hey, you okay, Ash? You look pale."

"Uh, no, I'm okay," Ashley lied. "Just tired from the back-to-back classes today. Just need to lie down for a while."

Harley didn't look convinced. "You sure? You want me to drive you to the medical center?"

Hearing that made her more bashful and her heartbeat went uncontrollable. She tried not to smile too widely. "What? No, you don't have to," she declined in a weird high pitch. "I'm fine, seriously. Just need my bed." She laughed clumsily.

His eyebrows slightly creased. "Okay, then. If you need anything, you can call me up."

"Sure, thanks," she replied, making a poor effort to keep her cool. When they started to part ways and he suddenly called out, she whirled around to him at lightning speed with a silly smile on her face and responded a little too excitedly, "Yes, Harley?"

"You want pizza?" Harley offered.

"S- sure!"

He gave her a benevolent smile. "Okay, I'll have it delivered to your place."

Ashley couldn't help but smile wider, her cheeks crimsoned. And right away, her diet was forgotten just like that.

***

Trotting to a campus café, Scarlett was late for her lunch with Harley and she blamed her professor for it. She was nervous since it would be her first-time having lunch with him around campus. But, all of a sudden, she stopped walking when she spotted Harley with Joey at the bench near the café. Absentmindedly, she hid behind the wall so they couldn't see her.

"Thanks for bringing this to me, man," her ears caught Joey speak.

"Don't worry about it," Harley replied.

"Let me buy you lunch. Still got time before class?"

"Oh, sorry, I already have plan for lunch."

"Which chick this time?" Joey laughed.

Scarlett suddenly felt a twinge in her heart when she heard that.

"The freshman I brought to your game, remember?"

"Way to go, man! Another freshman, huh?"

Harley just chuckled.

"Thought you were done with freshmen last year. What's the deal with her, anyway? She doesn't look like the kind of chick you go out with."

Harley was quiet for a moment then his deep, husky voice said, "I need her as my model for this photography contest."

Scarlett gasped. It felt like someone stabbed her in the chest with a knife.

Joey let out hoots of laughter. "You dick! So, that's it? Nothing more between you and her?"

Holding her breath, Scarlett's heart started thumping hard. She waited for Harley to answer, but he remained silent for a few seconds until...

"Yes, nothing more."

It was like the time stopped moving and someone twisted the knife on her breaking heart. With tears pouring down her face, Scarlett sprinted away. She thought he had mutual feelings with her. The way he treated her so gently made her feel special, but the bitter truth was she was the only one who felt those butterflies when they were together.

***

(to be continued)