WHO'S PAUL?!

You never really realize how far away something is until you have to go there.

The ocean was never-ending, both below and before us. At night we'd sleep in whatever cave we could find. At day, I'd keep guard as we swam, looking out for sharks.

I had made a spear for myself off of some wood I found from an old shipwreck. And I held it close to my heart.

When we reached the halfway point, I almost lost it, as two weeks had passed and no land or beaches were to be seen. This must be how Christopher Columbus must've felt when he was traversing the Atlantic with his crew.

"Erika!" I yelled, frustrated as the sun began to set once more on the fifteenth day and me feeling like there would be no end to our journey, "Why is this ocean so gosh darn BIG!"

"Is it really that bad?"

"Er, yes!" I complained and stiffened up in fright.

"What are you doing?" She asked with a smirk and I pointed my spear ahead to the giant fish in the distance.

It had a white underbelly, and layers and layers of teeth in its jaw.

Erika went blue in the face as she knew just as much as I do that this fish was a problem.

This fish... was a SHARK.

"What do we do...?" She whispered to me and I gulped, holding my spear out before us in a tribal way, aiming it at the shark and daring it to come closer.

The shark's eyes were as black as an empty void. I knew it had a soul like all animals, but you wouldn't think it by looking at its eyes.

"Get behind me," I told Erika quietly, and she hmpthed, before seeing the shark's eyes flicker at us and noticing a tasty meal was before it. Erika instantly swam behind me, ducking behind my back and I felt a lump in my throat as the shark suddenly dashed towards us, ripping through the ocean.

"Ah!" Erika yelped and the shark's jaw dropped open. I ducked, though, just in time and rammed my spear upwards, cutting into its belly and dragging the spear through its intestines as it sped past, not noticing the injury until it was too late.

Red blood inked the whole area around us, and I pulled the spear out of its wounded stomach, grabbing Erika by the hand and pulling her with as much speed as I could, out of the bloody depths.

"What's wrong?!" She asked me, I was dumbfounded by her.

"Sharks can smell blood up to fifty miles away."

"...oh." She peeped and we both looked behind us as the shark that had attacked us seemed to be drowning in its own blood.

We quickly whipped around, seeing in the distance five more sharks were coming, attracted to the injured and fallen one.

"Stay still," I told Erika quietly, and she grabbed onto my arm, hiding behind me in total terror.

Only one shark glanced our way, but it seemed to be more invested in the already made meal before her. We could see her white teeth glinting, and I waved Erika away from the sharks into the safe direction we needed to take.

Normally you'd think going up to the open-air would be a good idea, but nope! Instead, we did the wiser less foolish move and went to the bottom of the sea, hiding in a cave and just watching up ahead as the sharks feast like cannibals on one of their own kind.

It only took ten minutes before there was not one ounce of blood left in the sea. The sharks began to disperse once more, and the two of us watched in silence from the darkness of the cave.