A Surprising Resolution

One day. ONE DAY!

I should've never provoked him.

I needed to get Erika quickly so we could escape from the impending future I had somehow managed to bring upon us.

It was starting to get dark as me and my mum swam back in the direction we had come from Erika's stone cave house.

We pressed against the outside wall, as I peered in and saw her there, sitting on her slab of stone that acted as a bed for her at night. I could see she had been crying as her eyes were red and veiny once more, but she tensed up when she heard me whisper, "ERIKA!"

She quickly glanced over to the window, and her eyes brightened up instantly.

"Alberto." She said in delight and quickly swam over to the window.

"We have to go," I told her and she blinked, her expression becoming confused.

"Go... go where?" She asked lost and my mother butted in saying.

"Paul is planning on marrying you."

Her eyes widened, and she replied, "... when?"

"Tomorrow." My mother continued and I grabbed Erika's pink fin hand pulling her out through the open window and beside me.

Erika just looked on in wonder as I could tell a million thoughts were passing through her head.

"Does anyone besides you two know yet?"

"No." My mum spoke once more and Erika just had that glazed face on again, as she was thinking things over in her mind.

"Then, we go to him."

"WHA-?" I yelled and she quickly cupped my mouth so I wouldn't wake up the whole underwater neighbourhood.

"We must, or else this will never end." She then looked at me, releasing her hand from my mouth and continuing, "Once he knows how much pain he is putting me through, I know he'll let me be. I know Paul."

"I don't know," I said quietly in a growl at even the mention of that guy's name, "He seemed pretty determined."

"But he has a conscience, that I know," Erika replied and squeezed my hand tightly as she, mum and I started to swim back to the huge mansion, the sun finally setting and the sea slowly losing its daylight.

It took a few minutes but we were back before the huge door once more. Except for this time, Erika stopped us from knocking on it and she just pulled me upwards as she entered through an open window on the third floor.

"Paul..?" She asked quietly, and we entered this amazing beautiful bedroom, (Well, amazing by merfolk standards)

"Who's there?" That gentle voice asked as Paul looked up from where he was laying. Another slab of stone. In the middle of the wall away from him was a huge chest, and I definitely took notice of it as we swam in and approached him.

"Erika...?" He whispered when he saw the pink sea monster girl, and she slowly nodded her head, "What are you doing here?"

"Alberto told me you were planning our wedding tomorrow." She replied crossly, slamming her hands to her hips. Paul only bit his bottom lip and replied.

"I was... but I couldn't..."

All our eyes blew opened and he floated into a standing position, coming over to Erika and placing her cheek in his hand.

"I just have to know if it's true." He asked, his body trembling and his words soft and weak, "Do you really love this boy?"

Erika didn't know how to respond. She should've said instantly, Yes, WITH ALL MY HEART!