Chapter 5: Live a Little

Bellamy felt the guard station sway slightly as someone climbed their way up the ladder. It wasn't time for him to change shifts yet... so he peered over the edge to see who it was. 

"You owe me," Lincoln called out from midway. 

"You got Y/N to talk?! What did she say?" Bellamy's heart sank.

"All I can say is... you both are idiots." Lincoln pulled himself onto the guard station platform and put his hand on Bellamy's shoulder. 

"Thanks. That's insightful. You should really start charging for your services." Bellamy crossed his arms and shook his head.  

"Just go talk to her yourself."

"I can't just leave my shift, Lincoln." 

"Obviously. I'm offering to take over for tonight. But, as I said... you owe me. BIG TIME. Octavia is already a few cups of moonshine in and I'm missing out on a great night." 

"Yeah, I don't want to hear about that." Bellamy covered his ears jokingly. 

"Go live a little. And remember to man up and tell Y/N how you feel." 

"Thank you," Bellamy said before rushing down the ladder and making his way towards the bonfire in the middle of the camp. 

It felt so weird for him to be in the middle of the party. Usually, he was watching from the outside to make sure no fights broke out and none of the kids got too rowdy. But he took Lincoln's words to heart and decided to let go of all the responsibility for once. 

As he made he was towards his friends, Monty stepped in front of him out of nowhere. 

"Bellamy, everything okay? We've been doing what we can to keep the party contained. You're not here to shut it down, are you?" 

"No, no... I'm just looking for Y/N. Have you seen her?"

"Yeah, she's over there!" Monty laughed and gestured towards the mob of dancing kids next to the bonfire. "She's the life of the party tonight! I think she's even outshining your sister." 

"Great..." Bellamy started to head off towards the group but before he could, Monty grabbed his arm.

"Here!" He handed him a cup. "If you're going to party with us, you have to at least try it." 

Bellamy smelled the contents of the cup and crinkled his nose. He had heard about Jasper's moonshine but never tasted it himself... he always had to be sober in case something happened. But, Lincoln had given him a free pass for the night. 

"Bottoms up!" He threw the cup back and chugged the warm liquid. 

Yeah, that was disgusting

But, after a minute, he could see the appeal of the warmness that filled his chest. Monty refilled his cup and patted him on the back. "You're free to go!" He motioned towards the area where Y/N was.