𝟐𝟒| 𝐀𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐞𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐫𝐬

-𝐇𝐄𝐑-

Clutching the parchment in my hands, I slowly descend down the stairs which were going further down from LEVEL 1. I didn't know what lay there but with every step I took towards it, my heart seemed to dig its way out of my chest.

It was pitch black at this part and I was solely depending on my senses to climb downstairs without tripping. The darkness seemed to increase here the further I went down the stairs. I was actually considering going back but I wasn't going to do that because it was very unlike me. I didn't come this far to go back because I was feeling scared of darkness.

The stairs slowly spiraled down and just when I took a turn, I finally saw some light at the bottom of the stairs. This increased my speed and in no time I found myself standing in front of a similar door as that of LEVEL 1. Outside the door, a torch was lit up which was the only source flight in this humid part of this building. The stairs ended here.

Without thinking much, I knocked on the door. At first, there was no answer to the door. I put my ear against the door to hear if someone was inside the room. I did hear some muffled noises inside the room. I just couldn't describe what those noises were because I was hearing them for the first time. Those noises were eerie, making me think about what might be going on inside.

When there had been no answer for a long time, I knocked on the door and tried the doorknob. It was open so I twisted the doorknob before pushing the door open. As the door started to creak open, I got a brief glance at the insides of LEVEL 2.

It was way different than LEVEL 1. LEVEL 1 had these two rows of two long tables in the middle of the room with a lot of stools on either side of the tables. LEVEL 1 seemed to be used to store things but LEVEL 2 seemed to be the place where things seemed to take place.

The room was full of machinery, a lot of strange equipment, beakers, glass tubes, and whatnot. I was about the part the door even more but the door was stopped by an unknown force.

The source of that unknown force soon appeared in front of me, blocking away whatever sight I had of LEVEL 2.

The life in my body temporarily left me when my eyes locked with his blazing ones. His body looked tensed as well.

"What are you doing here?" He asked me sharply. "Didn't I tell you to keep out of here?"

"Yes you did, but I have actually-" Before I could be done speaking, he tugged the parchment out of my hands and ran his eyes over it. He cocked one of his perfectly arched eyebrows at me and enquired, "Are you done with them already?"

"Yes," I told him.

"You are actually done sorting them?" He pressed.

"Yes, they are sorted and measured," I told him. He gave me a pensive look before he glanced at the watch on his wrist. Meanwhile, I tried my best to get a second glance at LEVEL 2 behind him but his frame was completely blocking whatever was behind him. The door was only half-open so I wasn't able to see much.

When his eyes returned to me again, they burned with extra heat.

"Let us see what you have actually done," He spoke before stepping out of the room and shutting the door swiftly behind him so that I wasn't able to see anything more. He took the torch hanging next to the door before leading me upstairs.

The climb upstairs was quiet and brief. In no time, I was slipping back inside LEVEL 1 behind him. He instantly stalked towards the table to look at the work that I had done. I stood anxiously at the end of the table as I watched him look at the treys.

He randomly picked up bolts and measured them himself before he would check them with the measurements that I had written down on the parchment paper. This went on for a while.

"Come here," He told me after a while when he seemed to be done measuring them.

"Huh?" I asked stupidly, snapping out of a daze into which I had descended while staring at him working.

"Come here," He commanded again, turning towards me now. His dark eyes locked with mine. I did the opposite of what he'd commanded me to do.

"Is there something wrong?" I asked hesitantly, glancing at the boxes.

"I don't like to repeat myself, Ophelia," He spoke curtly. I swallowed before edging closer to him. He watched me pensively.

"What is this?" He asked me when I was finally close enough to him. I glanced at the parchment paper which had wobbly numbers scribbled on it in my handwriting.

My death certificate.

"Erm, the calculations?"

"You only measured them once?"

"Yes,"

"What did I tell you about errors?"

"Huh?"

"Errors, Miss Maynard,"

"Are there any in there?"

"Yes,"

"But I measured them with precision!"

"You cannot say so when you measured them only once and I don't see any calculations for averages here,"

"What do you mean?"

"You ought to measure a thing at least thrice or five times and then calculate the average of all measures to get a relatively accurate reading," He told me.

"You didn't mention this before," I told him sharply. He opened his mouth to speak something but then closed it quickly.

"Now you know," He spoke, handing me the paper. I ground my teeth as I snatched it from his hands.

"You should've told me before,"

"I tell you a lot of things but you don't take them seriously," He shot back.

"Like what?"

"Like staying away from LEVEL 2 yet you defy me,"

"Oh, well how else was I supposed to tell you that I am done working?" I asked him. He fell quiet for a while and gave me a pensive glare.

"A medium will be built for the communication between the three levels-"

"- so there's a LEVEL 3 too?"

"You'll stay out of LEVEL 2 and LEVEL 3 and that's an order from me," He told me sharply.

"Of course, I will," I told him with a sweet smile, crossing my fingers. He clenched his jaw as he glared at me. He already knew the trouble I was.

Besides, I didn't need to wander down to LEVEL 2 or anything beyond that because I already knew there would be a time when he'd take me there himself.

_

Author's Note:

Vote. Comment. Share. Follow me

You could read up to chapter 28 on Patreon. The link is in my bio.

Updating schedule — Wednesday, Saturday

Social media
Instagram- authorritz
Facebook- Benita Ritz
Twitter- BenitaRitz

Song above — Remembrance - Balmorhea
(Click on the link in my bio for my Playlist)

Thanks for reading ♥︎