CHAPTER 21: CAN'T AFFORD TO MAKE WRONG CHOICES

(PLAY THE SONG: "Vanishing Point" by Alexandra Savior)

1900, Emily's Cottage, Serbia

Sarah's night was probably the best one she had since a millennium until her eyes opened widely at midnight.

She woke up with an upward jerk.

It felt as if someone was removing every single nerve out of her body one by one. Her ears ringed with the sound of shouts and manic laugh of thousands of people at once. Sarah covered her ears with her palms in exasperation and screamed her head out. Tears shred like rivers from her eyes although all this wasn't reaching her coherence.

Nathan heard the shriek and saw the place he was sleeping in. He was sleeping on a settee in the house. How was he inside the house? Something was very wrong—the house had its wards down.

Why?

He ran into the room and skid into a kneel before Sarah. "Sarah?"

In the pitch-black environment, with his Terminal sight, Nathan saw Sarah being more just a silhouette. He saw her face—her ears and mouth were bleeding heavily. There were bruises all over her hands and face.

While sniffing, she muffled, "I can't stop the tears." She shook her head hard.

Nathan touched her shoulder and examined closely. She wasn't shedding tears—they were rivers of blood.

"I can't take this. It hurts."

Her words were hardly audible. Nathan looked around helplessly.

Hoping to seek a distraction till he figured why this was happening, he took out the talisman (the one he'd used before when he had had meal with Sarah for the first time) out of his trouser pockets. He held both the ends of it with one hand as his other hand was engaged in holding Sarah's.

Slowly and slowly the soothing and relaxing sound of waves begun to enter into Sarah's ears. The sun felt good on her icy skin. Waves were tinkling her feet and ankles as she dug her toes deeper into the sand below.

Her eyes opened.

She was lying on a rope swing in the middle of a crystal-clear lake. Nathan was sitting beside her and gazing at her as she looked around.

"There's something wrong with Emily," Sarah said looking vexed. "She is missing." 

Oh, right. Emily was missing.

She got up and looked at Nathan. Her ankles were submerged under the water and so was her pain. She could see anklet with tiny black hearts through the clear water.

"Let her go. Are you alright now?"

There was no longer any bruise on her body.

"Are you listening to yourself? We can't do this to her. Wake up, Nathan. You can't afford to make wrong choices again."

You can't afford to make wrong choices again.

"Remember the first time you'd seen the magic of this locket and had said that the flowers nearby gave you an eerie feeling?" he said slowly. "I think you're just too pure to be inside my mind."

Before Sarah could say anything, they returned from the reverie to the reality.

***

Thank you so much for reading till here. It really means a lot to me.

Fine, you have full authority. Admonish me once, admonish me a thousand times. (This seriously sounds like Maxon's  dialouge in last few pages of "The One" by Kiera Cass. 

Anyway, I sincerely apologise. I have been given too many assignments and too little time. 

Question: If you had the chance, would you go in the past and rectify a mistake or incident or maybe your reaction to an incident? Or you think that all these things are necessary. They hurt us only to heal us.

Date for next upload (for me today is Saturday, 10/07/21): Monday, 19/07/21  

I swear I'll upload that day. You. Have. My. Word.

Song name: "Vanishing Point" by Alexandra Savior

All Rights of the song go to Alexandra Savior and SME Records.

Infringement of copyright not intended.

(I know that writing all that isn't needed but I like to give credits to the artist/producer/maker of the song I'm using as a sign of appreciation, respect and in a way, of gratitude as well.)

Have a day knowing that you forgave someone and that someone is grateful for it (I hope you did, though)!

***

Please DO NOT promote plagiarism AT ALL. It is a punishable offence. If you do, serious action may be taken against you.

***