Chapter 1

C.C. dropped onto the couch with a sigh. It had been a year since she and Lelouch started their journey together and only six months since they settled in a small town. Though she no longer wandered alone, there were days that she let her thoughts get the best of her. She sometimes regretted pulling the young man into this.

The loneliness always seemed to have a way of creeping back into her life, despite his presence. While he had moved on from the past, even taking up new interests, writing songs, among other things. she felt unsure, realizing that Lelouch was all she'd ever wanted. A friend, a companion, and so much more.

C.C. had had connections before, always ending in grief and loneliness. But Lelouch, she decided, was not like the others.  The young man had a way of giving her a sense of belonging. She worried still that the day might come when he, like the others, would abandon her. She had very little left to offer.
She didn't bother turning around when she heard the door click open.

Lelouch softly closed the door behind him, making his way into the living room, and lightly tossed his keys onto the coffee table before sitting down at C.C.'s side.

"How did it go?" She asked without looking at him.

"Could've been worse."He replied. "But it could've gone a lot better."C.C. placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Just give it time."She said gently. "You'll get there one day."

"Maybe." He said with a sigh. " But you'll be happy to know that I'll be able to fund your habit for another week" He put his hand in his pocket, emptying the contents and presenting the money to C.C. She glared at him.

"I don't think eating pizza counts as a habit. You make it sound like I'm addicted to it."

"Sorry, remind me, how many times just last week did you have to have it?" Lelouch pointed out.

"It doesn't matter. My point is-"

"Then there was the week before. I can't even count how many there were since we left, and don't forget all the pizzas you got on my-"

"Alright!" C.C. crossed her arms over her chest. "No one likes a smartass, Lelouch. The dark-haired man shrugged.

"I don't know about that. I mean, We have our arguments, but I still think you're alright."He chuckled as he dodged the yellow plushie that was aimed at his face.

"Idiot." C.C. hissed. "By the way, even though you're being a jerk I guess I should tell you that Nunnally called while you were out, "C.C. informed him, not bothering to meet his gaze.

"Is she okay?"Lelouch asked with concern.

"She's fine. She misses you. I told her you'd call back. Maybe we could...have her and Suzaku over one day. I'm sure you feel the same way." Lelouch nodded

"Yeah. It's been a while, maybe I'll surprise her for her birthday. It's not that far off. We should start thinking about what to get her." 

"You'd know better than I would," C.C. said. "You'll have to tell her Happy Birthday for me." Lelouch turned to her.

"You wouldn't come with me?" He asked. C.C. stood up, taking a step away from the couch, her back turned to him.

"You don't really need me to, do you?"

"It'd be nice to have you there, you're family too."He admitted. 

"Don't do that," C.C. said, bowing her head. "We both know how this ends."Lelouch made his way over to her.

"Obviously I don't. You wanna fill me in on this ending of yours?" The girl sighed.

"It doesn't matter. You wouldn't understand. I can't expect you to. You're just starting, I hope you never have to-"

"You went back again, didn't you?"Lelouch asked softly. "Not everyone's the same, C.C. I'm not going to-"

"Don't make promises you're not going to keep. People can say anything and when it comes down to it, they never mean it. Do you know what it feels like to love someone and have them promise you everything you've ever wanted only for them to move on to something better? So few people showed me any kind of affection, friendship... I've had my heart broken so many times, Lelouch, I've lost count!"She wiped away a tear that rolled down her cheek. "This world is a cruel place and I don't know why- I'm sorry I pulled you into this. I condemned you to the same life I hate. You had a chance at love and I-"

"I chose you."Lelouch reminded her. "I'm not like everyone else. Not everyone wants to hurt you, C.C. You might not believe this, but I do love you, that's why I'm here. You don't have to do this alone anymore."C.C. drew in a shuddered breath, crossing the room to the front door.

"Where are you going?" Lelouch asked.

"Out. I just need some air. Don't forget about your sister." She pulled open the door and disappeared from view. Lelouch sighed heavily. He knew it was difficult for her to recall her past. The pain she endured and the moments of love she cherished were fleeting. He would have to figure out a way to reach her.  He grabbed the phone, moving into his room, clicking on Nunally's name, and waited for her to answer. He decided the time had come to share with C.C. the project he had been working on in the hope that it would help to not only heal her heart, but also ease her mind.