Part 5

"Really and truly?"
"Yes, really and truly," I insisted stubbornly while choking inwardly with fear. "Would you swear to it?"
I became very afraid but at once said yes.
"Then say: By God and the grace of my soul."
"By God and the grace of my soul," I said.
"Well, all right," he said and turned away.
I thought everything was all right now, and was glad when he got up and turned to go home. After we had climbed back up to the bridge, I said hesitantly that I would have to head for home myself.
  "You can't be in that much of a hurry." Franz laughed. "We're going in the same direction, aren't we?"
Slowly he ambled on and I didn't dare run off; he was in fact walking in the direction of my house. When we stood in front of it and I saw the front door and the big brass knocker, the sun in the windows and the curtain in my mother's room, I breathed a sigh of relief.
When I quickly opened the door and slipped in, reaching to slam it shut, Franz Kromer edged in behind me. In the cool tiled passageway, lit only by one window facing the courtyard, he stood beside me, held on to me and said softly:
"Don't be in such a rush, you."
I looked at him, terrified. His grip on my arm was like a vise. I wondered what he might have in mind and whether he wanted to hurt me. I tried to decide whether if I screamed now, screamed loud and piercingly, someone could come down from above quickly enough to save me. But I gave up the idea.
"What is it?" I asked. "What do you want?"
"Nothing much. I only wanted to ask you something. The others don't have to hear it."
"Oh, really? I can't think of anything to say to you. I have to go up, you know."
Softly Franz Kromer asked: "You know who owns the orchard by the mill, don't you?"
"I'm not sure. The miller, I think."
Franz had put his arm around me and now he drew me so close I was forced to look into his face inches away. His eyes were evil, he smiled maliciously; his face was filled with cruelty and a sense of power.
"Well, I can tell you for certain whose orchard that is. I've known for some time that someone had stolen apples there and that the man who owns it said he'd give two marks to anyone who'd tell him who swiped them."
"Oh, my God!" I exclaimed. "You wouldn't do that, would you?"