Night 8

HOT—THAT WAS ZON'S FIRST THOUGHT after blinking his eyes open. It was searing hot, and the barbarous slam of the door pulled him out of his sweet sleep's embrace. As if that was not enough, he also had a slight headache and no will to exist.

Okay, maybe he had a bit.

The blanket had slid down the bed, and next to it was Saifah, lapping a glass of water like it was the last drink on Earth. His prominent Adam's apple drew Zon's attention more than it should. Great, now he was thirsty, too.

Feeling like a mindless blob and a dirty rag all at once, he reached for the water of his own. At least, he could thank yesterday's self for being foresighted—otherwise, he would have dried out in his bed out of pure laziness.

Which was not that impossible.

"Did I wake you up?" Saifah picked the blanket and slid into the bed, his eyes puffy with sleep as well.

Zon shook his head. "The Sahara did."

After draining his glass empty, he plopped back onto the pillows with a low groan. Now, he was only half-dead. The drowsiness was still weighing on his eyelids, and the morning haze clouded his mind. Not exactly a perfect morning, was it? With his entire energy spent on shielding his eyes with an arm, even opening his mouth seemed like a challenge.

"Didn't think we drank that much," he said, tasting the awkwardness of his own words.

"It's the shots. We mixed." The mattress creaked, and when Zon uncovered his eyes, Saifah stared at him with an expression he interpreted as a hungover smug smile.

"What?"

"You slept with me in one bed."

Saifah was clearly amused, his eyebrows raised, smile crooked, but what he had said left Zon deeply perplexed. Wow, how wasted had he been?

"Must've been knackered, huh?" He chuckled. Not without surprise, he also noted that Saifah's breath didn't wake him even once—maybe tiredness was the solution for his future relationships then? Amused, he scratched his face and peeked to his side. "You still have Nathee's lipstick on, by the way."

"Oh, shit." Saifah rubbed his face, smudging it even more—now it was all over his cheek, way worse than before. He looked at Zon with trust in his eyes. "Is it gone now?"

A beat. "Yeah, mm-hm. Gone." Zon pulled the blanket to cover his mischievous grin.

The shocking pink shade suited Saifah extremely well.

For a moment, they lay side-by-side, their arms pressed to each other in silent unison. Breathe in, breathe out, Zon's head overflew with lazy thoughts. From memory to memory, he drifted on the soft cloud of lethargy, recollecting all the moments of the evening before. There were almost none that didn't make him smile, and only one that put a shadow on his mood.

Fighter's freaking nosiness.

Zon wet his lips and sighed. "Just so you know, Zen and Nathee know."

His sudden confession must have thrown Saifah off guard—not that he was to be blamed; it was completely out of context and Zon knew that—as it took him a few long seconds to utter a fully realised 'oh!'.

"That explains all those looks they gave me yesterday." Saifah snickered. "Day knows too."

"Well...It'd be weird if he didn't, considering how many times he saw us together." Zon revealed his hidden smile, broad and genuine, but as he dove into the well of Saifah's gaze, the tension in his throat arose again.

Shit, how was he supposed to say that?

He opened his mouth, all the squished vowels cramped at the tip of his tongue.