1. may the best witch hang

CHAPTER 1

"may the best witch hang"

𝐌𝐘 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐏𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐒 and my mouth dries as i sprint towards the thick forest. my chest heaves up and down as i run from devin. i glance behind my back momentarily before slamming into a rock-hard obstacle. i fall to the ground and wince as my head pounds, suddenly growing nauseous. my vision doubles, revealing twice the amount of trees that were truly present.

my legs are burning like a flame from sprinting as my chest rises and falls rapidly in an attempt to catch my breath. the air can't seem to reach my lungs quick enough as i gasp for air, searching for a way out of this situation.

i touch my nose lightly and glance at my fingers to see warm rust-colored liquid dripping down. i narrow my eyes at the brown haired boy prowling towards me as he wickedly grins like the cheshire cat.

"give me a kiss before going to sheila, baby." he taunts with a smirk as he pulls me up off the ground by my arm. "eat shit." i snarl, a scowl present on my face as he clenches his jaw. devin clearly enjoys the attention i'm giving him, no matter how negative it is, he's like that. the words i would use to describe him are annoying and persistent; the worst type of human imaginable.

he drags me through the trees, my feet dragging along the soil behind me, not stopping the branches and twigs that smack against my face. i dig my feet into the ground hoping to stop his relentless tugging on my body. my face burns in pain, but i ignore the sensation as i repeatedly hit the arm capturing me. i kick and punch at him but he doesn't budge until we make it to one large tree that sits in the middle of camp, secluded from all campers and counselors. a group of girls and one boy are lined up next to it and i turn to devin, wishing i had ran faster. i push down my stubbornness and turn to devin with wide, scared eyes in fear of what may happen to me.

"don't do this. look, they're fucking crazy. i'm not a witch." i plead with him as i see them tying rope to the tree. the branches were completely still due to the lack of wind, making it easier for them to string someone up against their own will.

"oh? now you like talking to me?" he fake-pouts as we stop in front of sheila and her posse of fake bitches. they followed sheila like she was aphrodite—a beautiful and irresistible goddess—but she was nothing near it. a red-haired girl is being held by will—the "head boy" that sheila is obsessed with—and she glares at him, her look filled with disgust. a grin finds its way onto my face as i stare at her, watching as her face contorts into fury as she struggles under will's grip (similar to my own under devin).

"she reaches from beyond the grave to make good men her wicked slaves. she'll take your blood, she'll take your head, she'll follow you until you're dead." the girls chant as devin shoves me out of his grip and onto the rough ground. the blades of grass press against my skin, making me feel like i have poison ivy.

the ginger comes down immediately after and i squirm under her weight, my breath being knocked out of my lungs from both her crushing me and her arms on either side of my head. i gulp and turn to the side to distract myself from the position we're in. "string them up." sheila orders as will and devin tie our hands up. i struggle under his grip, attempting to slide my foot under devin's to make him lose balance. sheila nods to will, and i turn to the red head and nod a greeting, "hey ziggy." our hands are tugged up and my body's lifted off the ground.

i groan in pain as the rope slides against my wrists and burn them. she pants heavily and turns to me, our feet barely touching the ground, "hey sarah." sheila steps forward and grins while i roll my eyes. "let us down you shits!" ziggy yells as she pulls on the ropes above her head. sheila grins and i tug on my rope, "let us down!" i shout as sheila walks around us.

she reaches into ziggy's pocket and devin walks over to me. sheila grabs a crumpled $10 bill out of ziggy's pocket and devin places his hands on my waist. i walk backwards and swing forward, kicking him in the balls. he doubles over saying a string of curses.

i look over to see ziggy following sheila with her eyes, as she holds up the $10 dollar bill. "goddamn thief!" will yells at ziggy. sheila shakes her head, "no. no, they're not thieves. they're possessed by the witch." she says.

"wow it's embarrassing you actually believe in that horse shit." i comment shaking my head and chuckling. she walks over to me and i narrow my eyes at her. devin scowls from behind her while i smile innocently at him. "the only way to explain your psycho behavior." she hisses.

"so saying 'no' to having sex with a dusty fart means i'm psychotic? you're really funny sheila." i demand sarcastically as i remember devin trying to touch me earlier, hence why i was running away.

"fuck you!" ziggy swears as she smacks her forearm into sheila's nose, causing a small stream of blood to flow out. ziggy blows hair out of her face and smiles, "guess we're even now." she digresses deeply.

woah. that was hot. i shake my thoughts away as a blush tints my cheeks. i'm brought back to reality when sheila starts talking again, "you do know what they did to sarah fier, right?" she asks as she glances towards me at the name 'sarah.' idiot, really. next thing you know she'll say we're related because we have the same name.

"they hanged her, from this very tree." she declares looking up at the branch holding us up. i clear my throat, "uh, don't you mean 'hung?' like isn't that the correct grammar?" i question as i tug on the ropes again and struggle to keep my feet on the ground. ziggy chuckles and turns to me with a smile.

sheila narrows her eyes at me as she continues, "but she'd have died forever if you do what you always do to witches...you burn them." she uttered into ziggy's ear. i widen my eyes as i watch sheila look at will.

"give me your lighter!" she commands as he looks around. "what?" he asks shockingly. "give it to me!" she yells. "and she says we have psychotic behavior." i mutter as ziggy grins and devin narrows his eyes at me.

sheila grabs it and looks at two girls, "now hold their legs." she commands as the girls look at each other. my eyes widen as devin walks towards me. i begin tugging on the rope harder as i watch devin take out a lighter.

"seriously sheila?" one girl asks as she stands there. "do it!" sheila shouts as she motions to ziggy. she flicks open the lighter as devin holds my legs down with one arm, purposely touching my butt. i kick at him, but he places his weight against me and grins.

"this should teach you a lesson." he raves as he flicks the lighter open and i start kicking harder, "no! stop it, stop it! stop devin i'm serious, stop! sheila, what the fuck is wrong with you?" i swear as ziggy kicks and yells as well.

"shut up you witch." sheila and devin snap at the same time. "sheila! devin! you made your point." the first girl whispers again from the back.

pfft, like that's going to help.

"don't! don't!" ziggy yells as sheila steps closer. "sheila, it was only 10 bucks." will bargains as he stares at the crazy brunette. "now the jackass talks." i exhort loud enough for him to hear. he clenches his jaw and waves me off. devin brings the lighter closer to me as all the voices tune out, all i can hear is ziggy's pained whispers.

"no! no! no!" i whisper as devin brings it close to my elbow and touches the fire against my skin. i scream as he pushes it farther into my skin and i kick at him. "now you'll learn to respect-" he starts but is interrupted by a whistle.

he immediately pulls the lighter away from me and i pant heavily as my vision fogs from my fear. my mind races as i wonder if ziggy's okay. i just need to see her flaming red hair. i gulp as i narrow my eyes to try and see who stopped them.

author speaks
hi everyone, i hope u liked
the first chapter. it was fun to write!
lmk if u have anything u want me to add!
love u guys and ty for reading <33