Chapter 6: Masquerade of Fate

The next day I sent Pocket and a few others out to get me a new dress and a mask, both were a deep scarlet and quite exquisite. In all honesty, I still wasn't sure I was going to go, but at least now, if I decided to, I was well prepared. After that, I continued my work on the 3rd-generation of my children. In the 3rd-generation I added a second clock to the first that made up their brain. The second ran backwards, which made it excellent for memory. This was not the only addition, however, because I also added a better heart which, in this generation, involved a pendulum. This meant they never really stopped running. Much like real people… well, until death that is. Marionette People were luckily not accountable to the same ailments that affected people. In fact, there was only one thing I could think of that might kill them, fire. 
     Pocket, as always, tested the modifications on himself before it went into production. During such experiments, I kept close tabs on him. When initial tests were done, we upgraded previous generations and built the 3rd generation. Even with a second clock, however, Giant's mental capacity remained that of a young child.
     Before I knew it, the Ball had arrived, and at first, I had no idea, but then I noticed the activity in town pick up. I stopped my work for a moment to see why. Carriages were arriving in the town square and crowds are gathering to greet the many esteemed guests. One carriage in particular caught my eye; it was black from horse to wheel. Even the driver was mostly clothed in black; though, if one looked hard enough, you could make out highlights of red around his collar, coattails, and dickey. I couldn't take my eyes from it. The driver, who was a slight man, then stopped the carriage a bit back from the crowds and jumped down from his seat, revealing that he had dark auburn hair cut shorter than most men kept it in those days. 
     The driver opened his master's door to let him out, and his master was truly a sight to behold. He had the very palest skin I'd ever seen – save Death himself - jet black hair in a ponytail and was clad from head to toe in Ebony, save a rich royal blue vest, but the greatest oddity was his eyes which were the very lightest of blues, verging very nearly on white and certainly glowing; without a doubt, they were glowing.
     "He is not human," I said to myself, or so I thought, but Alexander had just entered the room behind me.
     "If you mention that to anyone, you're likely to be burned next time," he said, “Though, I had my suspicions…”
     "Why shouldn’t I mention it?" I asked, not facing him.
     "He is a nobleman and guest of honor," Alexander said.
     "Who is he?" I asked, turning my eyes reluctantly from the pair to Alexander. "His name is Alias," he answered. Then asked, "Are you coming to the party?"
     "I believe I will," I said, going over to the workbench and picking up the headband.
     "Would you like me to escort you?" Alexander asked, watching me as I placed the mask on my face and tied the ribbon to secure it.
      "No," I said, "I can find my own way. Besides, it appears that I will be late."
     "Suit yourself," he said, then left.
     "Pocket!" I called, and he quickly responded, jumping down from the rafters above my head.
     "Were you spying on me?" I teased.
     "No, of course not, Muse..." he said then paused before adding, "I was spying on him."
     I found his response quite amusing, and his facial expression made it all the funnier as he couldn’t adjust it yet. I laughed briefly before asking, "Will you help me with my dress?"
     "Of course, it'll be a pleasure."
     So, Pocket helped me get dressed, which we managed fairly quickly together, and then it was time to go. I began walking down the stairs, and he was on my shoulder. "I wish I could go with you," he said quietly, looking down, "because no woman should have to wander about unescorted. Of course, I can't because I'm not human looking enough."
     His words reminded me of a previous idea. "Pocket..." I began.
     "Yes, Muse," Pocket said looking up at me now.
      I smiled at him and asked, "Why not?"
      Pocket looked confused as he asked, "What do you mean?"
     "Why can't you be human sized?"
     Pocket looked down with a hand on his chin in quiet contemplation for a moment, but as we reached the door, he looked to me and asked in an excited voice, "When can we start?"
      "Tonight, when I get home," I said, taking him off my shoulder and kissing his cheek as I placed him on the floor.
     I then walked to the mayor's home. The streets were quiet, eerie even, but the walk was uneventful. As I reached the door I hesitated, realizing I was terrified to open it. So, there I stood, for several long minutes, until the carriage driver opened it. Immediately, I met his eyes, which were a breathtaking dark green. They were not entirely unfamiliar to me, but I could not place where I knew the color from in that moment. "I beg your pardon, miss."
     His voice reminded me of my father's, though his was smoother and more lyrical. He then stepped to one side of the door and, with his head bowed, gestured for me to enter. I paused but slowly did. The man who announced the guests greeted me. I watched the carriage driver leave before I approached him. "Hello, ma'am. May I ask your name?" The Herald asked.
     "Oh, of course," I said still distracted by the carriage driver's eye color, "Phyllis Margaret Hatton." The false name felt out of place on my tongue, but it meant I was safe.
     The greeter was noticeably surprised but instantly moved into the ballroom to introduce me. I followed closely behind him and heard him say my name, "Phyllis Margaret Hatton."
     I stepped into the room on cue and felt the familiar pressure of hundreds of gazes on me, but rather than judgmental, they were merely astonished. The only eyes that truly mattered, however, were a pair of purple ones hidden behind a silver mask, accompanied by a pair of luminescent blue ones behind a black mask. I quickly headed for Nocturne, trying my very hardest to disappear into the crowd because the more sets of eyes the more likely I was to be found out. The gazes were relentless and stuck to me, followed me, as did some of the bodies attached. It wasn't until Nocturne and Alias came towards me that the suffocation stopped. The crowds parted for them, and when Nocturne was close enough, she smiled and said, "Hello, Darling."
     "Hello," I said back, quite grateful for her assistance. 
     "Come... Join Alias and I," she said, taking my arm.
     I followed but knew the eyes were not done. The longer I felt the gazes the more nervous I became, until I was almost positive I was recognized. Nocturne noticed my anxiety and, with a wave of her free hand to the band, everyone looked away and began to dance.
     "So, Muse, how have you been?" she asked, and immediately, my blood froze. What if someone had heard her? "My, you are quite a bit jumpier than you used to be... Relax, they can't hear anything but the music," she said, placing her hand on my shoulder.
     I did calm slightly but then recalled that we were not alone. My eyes fell to Alias; was he dangerous? He bore all the telltale signs Nocturne had taught me of being a dark creature: Pale skin, wealth, an enticing smell like fresh flowers on a grave. He smiled at my attention and then bowed. Nocturne laughed briefly before she said, "You have nothing to fear from Alias, dear. The townspeople are perfectly horrified of him."
     "That never stopped you," Alias said, kissing her hand.
     "You were just so charming, not to mention handsome," Nocturne said with an affectionate smile before turning back to me.
     "I've been well," I answered her quietly but did not go on.
     Nocturne's smile faltered ever so slightly at my response before returning as she asked, "Is there a particular reason you are being so evasive. I seem to recall you being a much friendlier person."
     “I suppose it could be because you brought a vampire with you,” I admitted, so quietly that no normal person could have heard it.
     Alias chimed in, highly amused, "She seems bothered by me, Love."
     "Oh, I see," Nocturne said as I watched her expression, carefully gauging her response. She surprised me a bit, however, because she seemed relatively unperturbed, which caused me a small wave of relief. She then met my eyes and said, "You shouldn’t worry so much dearest. Alias is relatively harmless, so what’s troubling you?" Nocturne asked, cupping my chin.
     I pulled free of her hold, closed my eyes, and holding one of my arms, said, "Things have happened, Nocturne. Things I have no desire to relive." I flinched slightly at the memory of my death.
     Nocturne frowned deeply and said, "I had heard there was an incident. I never assumed it had involved you." I looked at her then and saw that she was quite angry at the people of Valmeyer.
     "Do you want me to -handle- the townspeople?" Alias asked, smiling a wicked, fanged grin. The glitter in his eyes full of murder. 
     Quickly, and a little louder than I meant to, I said, "No." 
     Nocturne looked at my terrified eyes then, meeting Alias's, she said, "You heard her."
     Alias frowned as he said to me, "Well, you're no fun." The frown had not touched his eyes, however, so he was obviously not terribly upset.
     Nocturne then said, "So, Muse, I've heard talk..."
     "What manner of talk?" I asked her.
     "That you have given life to a group of wooden beings. Of course, the townspeople prefer the words life-like. It puts them more at ease," Nocturne said.
     I then noticed that the music had stopped and eyes were returning to me, but not as many as there had been. Regardless, it meant I had to choose my words a bit more carefully. I hesitantly replied, "I dabble in automatons, yes." I knew that was not really the appropriate term for the Marionette People, but it was the closest I could get without frightening people. I then went on a bit more confidently, "You see, one can only work with gears for so long before a desire to play with them arises. If you'd like, you may come by and see my work for yourself."
     Nocturne smiled, understanding clearly what I was insinuating, before she said, "I will be sure to drop in before I leave."
     Music then filled the room once more and Alias asked, "My Lady, may I have this dance?"
     "Of course, good sir," Nocturne said. She and Alias then wandered onto the dance floor, and almost the moment they did, I was mobbed. This time, however, the mob was pleasant, albeit a bit overzealous in their curiosity. I then spent most of the rest of the party answering questions. Questions about my dead husband, my history, where I learned my art. Some were difficult to answer; others weren’t. The most difficult being about my dead husband; without many other men in my life, I gave a rough description of Death. At least until a certain carriage driver asked, "Would you care to dance?"
     I gave him a grateful look before saying, "I would like that very much."
He then guided me on to the floor and we began to dance. The song playing was Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven, and my partner was quite a graceful dancer. I would be lying if I didn't say I found him quite attractive, even behind his strange dark mask.
     "How long have you known Nocturne?" He asked.
     "Since I was eight," I responded as he twirled me, then asked, as he caught my hand again, "And you, how long have you known Alias?"
     "A lifetime," He said, dipping me.
When I was once more upright, I asked, "So tell me, do you have a name?"
     He smiled and said, "Of course I do, everyone does, but it isn't important. What's important is that I know yours."
     "That doesn't seem terribly fair," I said
     “Very well, you may call me Phillip.”
     "Is that your real name?” But before he could answer, Alexander came over.
     "May I cut in?" he asked.
     "Of course," said Phillip before he bowed to my hand, kissed it, and said, "Farewell, Miss Hatton."
      I watched him leave then, a bit dazed until Alexander took my hand and we began to dance. At which point he immediately snapped me out of it by asking, "How did your chat with Nocturne go?"
     "Well," I said.
     "Well you certainly are popular with nobles, aren't you?" Alexander asked, his tone unpleasant.
     "Is that jealousy I hear, Doctor?" I asked raising an eyebrow.
     "Yes," he said simply, twirling me outwards as he added, "I just don't understand why everyone suddenly loves you."
     "Perhaps it's because of you," I said, trying to keep the offended edge out of my tone.
     "Hardly... I didn't do that much. It's more likely your endless beauty of youth and those dolls you call family. People seem to adore them," Alexander stated, his expression quite indifferent but his voice still oozing jealousy.
     "I am 23, Alexander, my beauty is at its height, and there needn’t be a supernatural cause. Also, they aren't dolls," I said tightly but still trying to remain calm.
     "No. Of course not. They're people," he said mockingly, which made it quite apparent that he truly despised them and found my love of them disgusting.
     I pulled away, glaring at him, and said quietly, unable to hide my anger anymore. "This dance is over... As is this conversation."
     Alexander glared right back at me, and I left the ballroom. Other eyes were on me and appeared disappointed by my exit. I ignored them and did not stop walking until I reached home. Pocket was waiting just inside the door, sitting on the table. I immediately hugged him.
Pocket, then concerned by how upset I was, asked: "What happened?"
     "Alexander," I said.
     "Did he hurt you?" Pocket asked, his tone taking on the angry edge it generally did when he was on the defensive.
     "No, Pocket," I said, setting him down on the table once more so I could meet his eyes as I added soothingly, "Calm down." He frowned, or at least his eyes did. I kissed the top of his head then said, "We really need to work on expression." 
     "One modification at a time, Muse, or you may go mad," Pocket said, his eyes becoming just a little lighter, more like his normal ones.
     "I'm almost positive I already am," I said grinning slightly at Pocket. He smiled back. "Let’s get to work, hmm?"
     We then went upstairs and began to focus our efforts on what I could only call shrink mode and grow mode. The rest of the evening we were designing, building, and testing, but then there came a time that I grew incredibly tired. Pocket noticed and took the pencil from my hand. I looked at him in confusion before he said, "You look exhausted. You should get some sleep."
     I considered arguing for a moment, but his eyes told me I would lose, so with a smile, I said, "You're so good to me, Pocket. All right."
     "That's my job, Muse," he said, practically glowing from my compliment. I laughed a little, patted his head gently, then climbed into my bed, falling asleep instantly.
     The next morning, Pocket woke me and said, "There's a woman at the door."
     "What does she look like?" I asked, stretching and sitting up.
     "She has white hair and purple eyes. She's a little strange," Pocket said.
     "Oh, Nocturne... Right," I said quickly changing and running downstairs to greet her.
     "I'm sorry to have woke you, Muse, dear. You did not give me a time," she said, taking in my still messy hair.
     "No, it's quite all right," I said, as I tried to make my hair a bit more presentable.
     "I came to see your work," she said.
     "Of course, follow me," I said, leading her up the stairs.
     She looked around as we walked and said, "There are certainly a lot of hammocks."
     "Well, everyone needs their own bed," I said, stopping on the stairwell and glancing at the some 30 odd hammocks.
     "I take it you've been quite busy, then," she said and reached out to touch Giant's leg, "What is this?"
     Giant laughed at her touch and she jumped. I chuckled and said, "That's Giant, come on."
     I then led her up into my room where Giant's head resided. Nocturne looked at him in awe and said, "My, you're large."
     I giggled a little at her expression then, leaning over the rail, began to call out names. In return, the Marionette Person I called would wave to Nocturne. Pocket was last and flipped into the room behind us. She looked at him in delight as he said, "Hello, Madame. I am Pocket, Muse's assistant and first Marionette Person."
     "He is so lucid," she said then, turning to me, added, "I am very impressed, Muse."
     "Thank you," I said, grinning at Pocket.
     "In fact..." Nocturne said, looking to Giant and over the rail. Her words made me a little anxious because something in her tone was off. She then looked at me again and said, "You have a great talent; the sort of talent that, if trained, could become a great power."
     "Wait," I said, realizing suddenly what she was saying, "do you mean..."
     Her eyes were gleaming as she said, "Join me, Muse."
     Fear struck me. If I became a witch, I proved the townspeople right. The punishment for which would be worse than anything I had thus far endured. Not to mention, becoming a true witch meant giving the Devil your soul. Nocturne had been very hush about this matter, but I had learned enough of such magical beings to know the truth, and as much as I did not follow religion currently, I was not willing to offer my soul. Slowly, I shook my head and said, "No, I can't."
     Nocturne frowned and said, "Please, Muse; from the moment I saw you I knew that you could be the most powerful witch I'd ever taught. You were a natural at identification, you weren’t bad at alchemy, but if you’d only focused a bit more on casting you would’ve—”
     "No," I cut her off and turned away from her, "I've seen what happens to witches. I was killed for being one..."
     Pocket climbed to my shoulder and whispered, "It's okay, Muse."
     I placed one hand on the clock face and said very quietly, "Never again."
     Nocturne set her hand on the opposite shoulder of where Pocket sat and carefully guided me to turn around before she asked, "What do you mean you were killed? You're alive."
     "I died, Nocturne; the only reason I'm still here is because Death took pity on me," I said, folding my arms tightly across my chest and locking eyes with her momentarily.
     "I see," Nocturne said then, turning around to leave, added over her shoulder, "you didn't have to... Think about it, Muse." With that, she opened the door and headed down the stairs.