Chapter 8: Roses the color of Violet

I kicked the water around me, soaking my clothes. There was no one around me, what could I do? I had no purpose whatsoever... People stared at me... Was it because my hair was a violet color? Or was it my eyes? I looked up at the sky, my eyes they're not normal I know that much.. I walked to my school "Grand High school" I was a new freshman with no one to talk too. The world around me spinning while I was standing still in the middle of it all, where could I go? No one will accept a kid like me, someone whose a freak and didn't fit in. I was left alone to care for my sick brother, he didn't have long to live but I still treasured every second with him.

I quickly walked home so that I could see him. But as I got home my brother wasn't downstairs like usual. I rushed upstairs to see his computer open and him sleeping in his bed. I walked over to his computer and opened his messages. As I was reading I saw that people were messaging him to go kill himself... These kind of things are not suppose to be told to a kid... I closed the laptop and covered my mouth. Tears fell down my face... What do I do? I know he's not doing okay...

I clenched my fists and walked out of the room, he would tell me about this stuff if he needed my help, I closed the door and continued to my room, I have school tomorrow so I should get some sleep before I end up staying up all night.

(That morning)

I walked downstairs to fix breakfast, I could hear my brother upstairs running around. I grabbed a piece of toast and bit into it feeling the butter on my lips.

"I'm off to school" my brother said running out the door

"Jake!" I screamed after him but he has already taken off

I stood there in the middle of the kitchen alone, a nagging feeling was eating me alive from the inside out. I grabbed my bag and ran out the door, something was wrong something was very wrong at the moment. I ran all the way to Jake's school trying to figure out where his classes are. Each grade level is divided into separate buildings so finding his classroom isnt going to be the easiest. My heart was racing as I looked around the campus. I could see my brother walking into his school, I ran after him but as soon as I saw a group of older boys from my school pick him up by his collar and slam him against the wall I lost it...

I ran up to them and tried making the one boy let go of my brother but I failed to do so. With one hand the boy smacked me away. I fell to the ground hard, the other boys picked me up and punched me in the stomach repeatedly till I coughed up blood. I watched as my brother was beaten senselessly in front of me. Tears forming in my eyes, I reached out for my brother. Please... Please stop... Before I knew it a teacher came and broke up the boys, they were escorted to the office. My brother laid on the ground not moving. I willed my body to move and crawled over to him, his face was bloody and bruised. I stroked his cheek tears falling from my face.

"Jake... Jake please wake up!" I screamed shaking him

The guards picked me up and carried my brother to the ambulance, I fought with them to let me go. I needed to see my brother, he needed me more then anything! I pushed the guards away and jumped into the ambulance with my brother. A oxygen mask laid on his face. He seems to be breathing... I let out a breath and wiped my face.

As my brother was admitted to the hospital, I walked around trying to clear my mind. A girl with black hair walked out of the hospital with two boys who looked identical. She turned towards the two of them and flicked them in their foreheads. I chuckled at them covering my mouth, for the first time in awhile I actually laughed. I shook my head back and forth, I turned around and walked away from the window. I sat in a chair next to my brother holding his hand. The doctor said he could go home tomorrow since he just blacked out from the beatings and shock. I let out a breath and laid my head down on his bed still holding his hand.