Enterprise: The Corbomite Maneuver 1512.2

Stardate: 1512.2

Today, this day, (y/n) had the unfortunate luck of having the day off while the Enterprise was mapping out the stars around them. They've gone far enough out to be in uncharted waters. She grabbed a book from her collection which has somehow gained more books since the last time she saw it-making a note to finish Journey to the West at some point before carrying the collection of Greek comedies one of the ensigns handed over after a drinking game to the observation deck. She found a decent place to view the surrounding void of space and hunkered down into her book.

She was deep into Frogs when she was snapped out of it by the alarms going off. Her mental walls came down so she could hear what was happening, and was met with Mr. Spock's attempt to try and avoid it first after the alarm abruptly stopped. Things didn't look too good in terms of the stress levels of the ship, but what's new. And now the ship was under alert. Delightful. She reestablished the mental walls peering out of the viewport to see a cube. Her eyes narrowed as she scrutinized it. 'Oh thank the stars. It's not-' Her relieved thought train was stopped by Sulu's voice ringing through the ship.

"Looks like I'll go to my quarters, after stopping by Engineering of course." She mumbled a slight tug in her mind letting her know someone was reaching out specifically to her.

"(y/n), lass, stay in your quarters." It was Scotty. "You don't have the required training for this as far as records go, and if things go awry we'll need you to not be near it else you get blamed."

"Sir, I'm currently leaving the observation deck. Unfortunately, I seem to have already broken orders." Her tone was wry.

"Please hurry back to your quarters." He sounded and felt exasperated. "The bridge crew have sent us a doozy of a task list that has to do with things above your clearance level."

"Yes, dad, getting there without smelling the roses, sir." Her tone was exasperated now.

A sense of amusement filtered through to her from the man who had the fleeting thought of having a drink with the space lobster.

(y/n) had made it to her quarters before too long, she put her book away and grabbed a pad, and sat by the viewport to start looking over what data she's collected from the circuits. She was trying to figure out the threat level of the cube while taking a peek at her handiwork in the Jefferies tubes to see how they were holding up. She had passed out at some point that evening only to jolt awake when she felt radiation levels nearing dangerous levels for the crew and took a look at the pad by her side to try and figure out what had happened. The sound of phaser fire nipped that thought in the bud rather mercilessly.

"What happened?" She thought out to the Enterprise to try and get an answer and was met with radio silence.

She sighed in frustration, returning her attention to her pad to see if what readings she had could give her a hint about whether they just signed their death warrant.

That went on for hours maybe another daily cycle, she doesn't know, she's been taken off of the duty roster for reasons she can't fathom at this time. Dr. McCoy stood at her door with two trays and a displeased quirk on his brow. He cleared his throat to get her attention.

"I received a report that you haven't eaten for quite some time." ah that's what she forgot.

"I'm trying to figure out who we may have run across." She explained.

"You've little security clearance." He placed the trays on the table before standing beside her with his arms crossed.

"All data stored and traveling anywhere on this ship has to travel through where?" She sent him a look.

"Ah, and you can read such innocuous strings of data I imagine." He returned the look she sent his way.

"Had to know how to make necessary adjustments, besides-" She was cut off by him gently pulling her up off the floor and over to the table.

"Besides that does not excuse you for not taking proper care of yourself." he pulled out a chair and had her sit.

"My people can go ridiculously long periods without food." (y/n) pouted at being treated like a child.

"I don't care. Eat." He sat across from her and started eating after he watched her begin picking at her food. "How have you been holding up?"

"Everyone's stress is rising. The captain's striving for perfection is not working to lower it. His is probably the highest next to Commander Spock's and yours."

"I was asking about you." He gently reminded her.

"All things considered, I'm fine. Not being used to the benefit of the crew is a tad bit confusing." She hummed disinterestedly.

"How so?"

"The reaction times would be greatly improved with the retuning of two or three circuits."

"Huh?"

"And I would've already retuned them by now if I were allowed to work." She continued to pick at her food.

McCoy was about to ask her another question when (y/n) was transported out of her quarters.

While the doctor was letting the bridge know that she was gone, (y/n) found herself at a table across from another person entirely.

"I am Balok." The person seated across from her placed a glass filled with a liquid before her. "This is my people's approximate of one of your spirits."

"I'm (y/n), it's a pleasure to meet you." She lifted the glass to her lips and took a sip. "This is a delight."

"I'm glad you think so." He said with a small friendly smile.

"May I ask why you pulled me from my comrades' side?"

"This is their test."

"And you believe I'll assist them? I hate to break it to you, sir, but I'm not of the clearance level to be allowed to. I just crawl around in the vents." She snorted slightly.

"Judging by your markings, this isn't the race you were to guide to fruition."

"You would be right."

"What happened? If you don't mind me asking."

"My home was destroyed, from what I remember, it was by the hands of one of our children." (y/n)'s eyes bore into the glass of alcohol as she spoke.

"Ah, shall I let them know you are safe?" He motioned to a monitor displaying the ship she was on moments ago.

"They are aware of how capable I am." She said with a smirk playing on her lips.

Then over the speaker, they heard the conversation from the bridge of the Enterprise about carbomite.

"If you intend to destroy the ship could you not destroy the books in my quarters?" She sent him a questioning look.

"You don't care about the crew?" Balok gave her a measuring glance.

"You won't destroy the crew." She sent him a side-eye. "That is against your prerogative."

"Prerogatives change." He returned the side-eye.

"But those as strict as your people's rarely do." She countered.

"Is the carbomite real?" He suddenly asked.

"That is above my security level, Balok." She hummed over the rim of the glass in her hand.

The pair watched the monitor as things played out.

Luckily, the ship wasn't destroyed, the crew wasn't marooned on a random planet, and (y/n) was returned to the Enterprise where she promptly grabbed her tool kit and crawled into the Jefferies tubes to get to those circuits she was talking about with McCoy. Her not being in her quarters as expected sort of threw Scotty for a loop when he sought her out for a drink or two in the rec room.