Chapter 17

A/N - New Chapter a week early! But be warned, you might need tissues for this one

"Alya, I don't know what to do?"

Marinette dropped her head onto Adrien's shoulder as they sat in front of his computer. Alya shared a worried glance with Nino sitting beside her. It was bad enough that Shadow Moth had figured out their identities, but him now having the whole Miracle Box, only minus the Ladybug and Cat Miraculous, could be more dangerous than anyone could imagine.

But what was worrying Alya more was the fact that Marinette looked like she was on the verge of a breakdown. Between being kicked out of ESMOD, Lila insulting her and now the Miracle Box being gone, it was all too much to take in one afternoon. She knew Marinette was strong, but it was clear she was beginning to break and the only thing holding her together right now was Adrien.

"Can't you access the Miraculous through your yo-yo? You could just retrieve them individually?" Alya suggested. Before anyone could answer though, Nino grabbed her arm.

"Hold up babe, Shadow Moth would expect something like that. What if it, I don't know, opened up some interdimensional wormhole portal thing or something?" He urged with a panicked look.

Alya pushed her glasses back up along her nose with an unamused look. "Nino, seriously? Have you been watching those weird late night B grade sci-fi movies again?"

"No, he might be right." Adrien interjected. "We don't really know the extent of what Shadow Moth might be capable of. You just have to look at some of the past Akumas and Amoks to know that he is only limited by his imagination." He looked over to the side where Tikki and Plagg were sitting, but neither Kwami could confirm or deny anything.

"Yeah, some of those villains were totally off the wall at times." Nino nodded along with what his best friend was saying. Alya looked at her boyfriend and back at Adrien with her arms folded.

"You know, this isn't helping." She deadpanned. "You two nerds just have overactive imaginations."

"It's alright Alya. Adrien's right, we don't know what Shadow Moth might be capable of." Marinette let out a heavy sigh. "I must be the worst Guardian that ever lived." She lamented, sliding her head off Adrien's shoulder and letting it fall to the desk with a thud.

"Well knocking yourself out isn't going to help m'lady." Adrien said, pulling her up by the shoulders back into her seat. "Bug, look at me." He whispered softly, gently turning her tear stained eyes towards him. "You are, and always have been, a great Ladybug and Guardian. We will find a way through this, together alright. You and me against the world."

He leaned forward, wrapping her up in a hug as the four of them went silent for a moment before Alya ventured to speak again. "What if...what if you contacted the Guardians at the temple?"

"What? Alya no." Marientte said, suddenly pulling out of Adrien's grasp. She got up and started pacing around the room, hugging herself.

"But why not?" Alya persisted. "You could talk to that Su-Han you told me about. This wouldn't be the first time a Miracle Box has been taken or gone missing. They might know what to do."

"Absolutely not." Marinette insisted, gripping the back of her empty chair and leaning over at the computer. "Su-Han trusted me, he put his faith in me to be the Guardian against all the rules of the temple. If I tell him about this he will take the box back off me and force me to relinquish Guardianship. I'll lose my memories. I won't even...I won't know..."

Adrien got up and swiftly held her to him as she broke down. Alya gave Nino a sorrowful look. Yes, telling the Guardians at the temple would no doubt help, but they wouldn't do it at the cost of Marinette's memory. Adrien continued to try and soothe her tears, gently stroking her hair as she sobbed and encouraging her to breathe.