Chapter 14 - Emma Tremblay

"Hey!" Shouts a voice as you walk out on Jacob's driveway. 

You turn around to see a girl, maybe 17 or so running towards you. Her long brown hair swishes behind her in the wind. "What are you doing in our yard?" she asks, out of breath. 

"Oh," You say. "I'm Jacob's friend." Instantly you regret it. Jacob isn't supposed to have girls over at his house. You give yourself a face palm. 

"I'll let you off this time," The girl says, seeming to read your mind. "I'm Emma. Jacob's sister. I'm guessing you're Y/N. You keep popping up in conversations."

"Really?" You blurt out. For some reason, it seems important to know what Jacob thinks of you. Emma nods, but doesn't continue on the details. She motions to the street beyond the driveway. 

"I'd love to keep talking," Emma apologizes. "But I do know that my parents will be home from work soon, and if you're caught here . . . big trouble."

"Yeah I know." You sigh. "My parents would freak if they knew I was here too. Well, nice talking to you!" You wave as Emma walks back to whatever she was doing, and you continue walking home. So that was Emma Tremblay . . . 

"Where have you been?" Your mom asks as soon as your set your foot through the door. "Didn't I make it clear you were grounded?"

"Oh," You say, trying to look forgetful. "I didn't know I couldn't go to Irene's house." 

"Fine," Your mom sighs. "You can go to Irene's house as long as you promise you won't visit that Jacob boy." Slowly, you nod your head to agree. Though you regret it, you can always go behind their backs. 

You push past your mom, into the kitchen. Finding something to eat, you go back to your room. Sometimes, it's nice to be grounded. Parents won't come bother you as much, knowing that you need to be alone. 

Suddenly, you get a great idea. The next day at school, you ask Irene a question. "Hey Irene!" You call after her in the hallway. She turns around. "Can I borrow your second phone?" You ask. 

"Sure." Irene says, handing it to you. "But seriously, you haven't talked to me in more than a week, and that's how you greet me?" 

"Sorry," You apologize. For the rest of the day, you hang out with your best friend. It feel different, nice for a change. She's surprised when you tell her all about Jacob. Irene always has crushes on boys, but never interacts with them. 

Jacob looks at you from the corner of his eye all day. You can tell that he wants to be with you, but doesn't seem to want to hang out with Irene as well. You try sending him some sort of sign to say sorry, but he doesn't seem to see them.