II. A Cry for Help

"Hey, Jerry," I said to the old man smoking on the porch step.

"Hey, kid." He muttered back, taking another long drag while staring at his phone.

"Watch out for the weirdos, they're out in full force tonight," I warned, making my way into my apartment building.

"Always are kid, always are." He took another swig from the brown paper bag.

I pushed my key into the door and swung it open to find an absolute mess, pizza boxes and beer bottles scattered haphazardly. Finnley sat on the couch, his mop of ruddied hair sticking in all directions as he screamed into his headset. I opened my mouth to greet him, but stopped, smirking to myself I crept slowly behind him before lunging forward, effectively putting Finn in a headlock. With the back of my thumb I raked my nail across the length of his neck, kill point for me. I released my grip and shoved him forward as he flailed about, landing on the floor. I jumped back, doubling over with laughter, tears welling in my eyes. He huffed, his cheeks tinged red with embarrassment, green eyes narrowing at me.

"That's three-to-two Finn... I'm coming for you!" I said in a fit of giggles.

"Don't stand to close to the edge!" He threatened as I turned the corner to drop my bag in my room.

"Idle threats." I tossed him a middle finger salute.

In my room I threw my backpack on my futon, turning to look at myself in the mirror, I grimaced at my reflection. Mussing my curly brown hair into an even more unruly state I ran my fingers along the side of my undercut, I'd need to get it cut soon. Taking a step closer, I attempted to clean up some of the smeared eyeliner that was definitely giving that distinct raccoon look.

It's been two months since I aged out of foster care and moved in with Finn and the twins. Finnley was the oldest of us, he was always looking out for us three, ever since we were kids. We were a sort of makeshift family, having been inseparable since early adolescence. But now that I'm free from the system, I suddenly feel more trapped than ever.
Freedom never was really free, I'm starting to get that now.

I made my way out to the fire escape, maybe some fresh air would help clear my head.

"Hey, Shi, close the damn window I'm freezing my nuts off here!" Finn shouted.

I slammed it shut behind me, rolling my eyes, he was such a sore loser.

I sat on the stairway and pulled my hood up, shivering against the wind. Pulling out my prized glow in the dark skull head Zippo I flicked the thing open with a satisfying click and lit a scrawny joint, the last of my stash. The last for a while, better savor it.

A thump against the window startled me out of my reverie. I turned towards the window to see the twins, Vic and Vinny making faces at me from the other side. "I thought I smelled something delicious.." started Vinny ".. and nutritious." beamed Vic.

"Oh no.. absolutely not," I groaned, shaking my head fervently, "this is my last one!"

Vic tried to pluck the scrawny joint out of my hands, I swatted him away and leapt to my feet, ducking when Vinny tried to grab it from the other side.

"No fuckin' way!"

I raced up the fire escape, bounding three steps at a time until I reached the rooftop, sprinting at full speed towards the next building, an easy enough jump. I kicked off into the air and dove twisting my body so that I landed in a roll with my joint still secure in my mouth. Turning to look back at the twins I waved victoriously and blew out a satisfying pull of smoke.

"Oh shit."

My jaw slacked and the joint almost fell from in my lips, they were already mid air. Vic with his bleach-blonde mohawk, had maneuvered himself right over my head and while midair, he reached to pluck the joint from my lips. I dropped just out of his reach, using the momentum to roll under a metal pipe, jumping up I ran over a beam arms outstretched to keep my balance. Vic was hot on my heels but Vinny was nowhere in sight. I dropped down between a structure, creeping along the walls as quietly as I could. I couldn't hear or see either of the twins so I crouched down to savor the last few puffs.

"Maybe they gave up." I whispered to myself.

It was cold as hell so I snuck along the side of the wall looking for a way back, a few paces ahead opened up to a pathway back to our own roof. I took off running at top speed, and I almost made the jump when I saw Vic pop out from the side. I lowered my body, one leg outstretched and one hand on the ground as I skidded to change direction. I moved to run the other direction when I was tackled from the side so hard we rolled a good three times before stopping.

"You cheat!" I shouted as Vinny plucked the stub of a joint from my lips and enjoyed the last puff.

"Fair's fair sweetheart." Vinny chuckled, handing the rest over to Vic who plucked it from him with a satisfied grin.

"You really thought you were gonna shake us that easy?" Vic said, flicking the roach over the roof.

"You should know us better than that by now Shi, frankly I'm offended." He placed his hand over his heart and feigned disappointment.

"Yeah, well there's two of you and one of me, I hardly consider that a fair fight." I scoffed, standing and brushing the dirt from the back of my jeans.

"Hardly, you know you're faster than either of us.." started Vince, "..as much as it hurts our fragile male-egos." Finished Vic.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever." I rolled my eyes, "well now you guys owe me." At that, Vince smoothed his bright red locs out of his eyes and with a grin reached into his pocket pulling out a baggie of pre-rolled joints.

"Oh ye of little faith."

"Oh thank God" I exhaled, "y'all have no idea how utterly shit my day has been."

Vic took off at top speed, yelling over his shoulder, "race ya!" I smirked at Vinny, before taking off in pursuit.

I won, of course.

As we settled down to the edge of the three-story complex, I began to complain about my shitty work shift down at the Diner.

"There's no way I'm going to make rent now." I sighed.

Vic passed the joint, "Well I can always get you in at the gym, they don't pay much and it's only part-time but it's better than nothing. And no pervs." He smiled at me, pearly whites gleaming.

"Thanks, Vic, I might have to take you up on that."

"Wait, shh!" Vinny put his finger to his lips.

Vic and I turned to look at Vinny entirely confused, he was looking intently towards the building across the street. I squinted my eyes in confusion at Vic and he just shrugged. Then I heard it. A shrill scream, not too far from us.

"It's probably just someone messin' around." I dismissed

"Help, Oh God! Somone hel-"

Then silence.