Author's Note

He scaled up the escape ladder as fast as he could. He only had a few seconds while his target was distracted. This might be his only opportunity. If he did this, the war would be finally over. He would be done. Done with the fighting, the politics, the insanity... everything. He could retire.

Once on the roof, he ripped the high-powered rifle out of its case, mounted the bipod and lay flat. Looking through the scope, he lined up the crosshairs with his head in the center. This was it. The last time he would ever have to see those bastard's blue eyes. 

Today was the day he finally killed Nolan Wes. 

~~~~~

"I killed someone!" 

"Yes," he brought his hands up to cradle her face. His eyes glistened with excitement, making her heart flutter. "How did it make you feel?" 

She stopped shaking. Her breathing slowed and the world went quiet. It was just them. Did she dare say it out loud? He would understand. He saw right through her... as he always did. That special brand of lust and hunger he brought out in her sparked to life. She leaned in until her lips were a hair away from his. "I loved it."

~~~~~

Welcome to Blood Lust, book 2 of the Ancient Blood Series. 

If you haven't read Dragon Blood (book 1), I highly suggest you do that first. There is a lot of world-building and terminology covered in the first book that you may not understand if you dive straight into book 2.

With that said, do what you want.

If you have read Dragon Blood, welcome back and thank you so much for sticking with me for a second book.

There are a few things I want to address before officially posting the prologue tomorrow.

1. This is a first draft. Pacing might feel inconsistent. There will be continuity errors. There will be filler chapters when I don't know how to move from one plot point to another. There will be plot points that will randomly get dropped because they didn't work out on paper. I do not know what the quality of my writing will be for this because my attention is divided between this and my other project.

2. Chapters will be posted on the first of every month. Editing Dragon Blood is taking up the majority of my time and attention right now, as well as working full time, and I'm planning on buying a house in a broken market (because I'm insane). If things start going better than expected, I will increase publishing to once every two weeks, but please do not count on that happening any time soon. 

On another note, I have no idea how long this book will be. Dragon Blood ended up way longer than I ever thought it would be, but I did also have a much clearer idea of what was going on. Blood Lust is different in that I have a specific ending in mind, and now just have to work my way up to that. I am aiming for chapters to be around the 2500-3000 word mark, but, again, I really don't know how this is all going to work out. In all honesty, this just might turn into like a mini side story that leads up to the 3rd book. We'll see what happens.

3. This book is rated MATURE for more reasons than just sexual scenes. I will continue to mark chapters with explicit sex scenes as (R) with the little warning at the beginning, but if I did that for every chapter with mature content, you're just going to start ignoring it. 

I am dipping into some darker themes for this novel. There will be topics of sexual assault, emotional/physical abuse, and drug use. These topics will not be glorified, nor will I be going into explicit details of certain events. 

If you are under 17, close out of this book and go find something more appropriate. 

4. This is first and foremost a story. It does not accurately portray my opinions on sensitive subjects such as racism, sexism, politics, or religion. If you want an insight to my opinions on that, you are more likely to get it from Dragon Blood. Again, I am trying my hand at some darker ideas. If you are concerned that they are damaging, feel free to DM me, and I will try to adjust the tone on those topics. 

I think that's it. 

Please vote and comment to your heart's content and enjoy. 

M.C. Matthews