Chapter Two

but it's just the price i pay, destiny is calling me
open up my eager eyes, 'cause i'm mr. brightside
the killers, mr. brightside

By the time Icarus had sat down at the Slytherin table in the Great Hall, he was starving. He had missed the trolley witch on the train and he hadn't eaten since breakfast. Icarus inwardly groaned as he watched the headmaster stand up to give his usual first day of school speech.

"Welcome!" Dumbledore said. "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast. . . ."

He cleared his throat. "As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business."

There was a short pause before Dumbledore continued, "They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds and while they are here with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises-or even Invisibility Cloaks. It is not in the nature of a dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I therefore warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the prefects, and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure that no student runs afoul of the dementors."

Even from the Slytherin table, Icarus was pretty sure he could see Percy Weasley puffing his chest out in an important manner.

"On a happier note, I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year.

"First, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

There was some scattered and unenthusiastic applause, and the loudest clapping was coming somewhere from the Gryffindor table. Icarus looked up at the staff table, noticing that Lupin looked shabby in his old robes in comparison with the other teachers.

Icarus looked at Snape, who was glaring daggers at Lupin. It was common knowledge that Snape had always wanted the Defense Against the Dark Arts position, but had never gotten it. However, Icarus felt as if there was a little more to the look on Snape's face than resentment; he could basically feel the loathing rolling off of Snape.

"As to our second new appointment," Dumbeldore continued as the lukewarm applause for Lupin died away. "Well, I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retored at tje end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs. However, I am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other than Rubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take on this teaching job in addition to his gamekeeping duties."

Applause erupted from every table except for Slytherin. Icarus just sat there, trying to gage what type of teacher Hagrid was going to be. He had never met the bloke, only heard of him, especially last year when he was taken to Azkaban for the Petrification of Muggle born students. As it had turned out, Hagrid was innocent and he returned to Hogwarts before the end of the year.

As if on cue, Alan leaned over and whispered into Icarus's ear, "He's the one who was in Azkaban, right?"

Icarus nodded in response.

"Well, I think that's everything of importance," Dumbledore said. "Let the feast begin!"

The plates were suddenly filled with food. Icarus scooped mashed potatoes until he had a massive steaming pile on his plate. He put a piece of steak and kidney onto his plate and started to eat.