Chapter Seven

take me to your best friends house
roll around this roundabout
grouplove, tongue tied

Icarus walked past a bookshelf, quickly scanning the titles that were on the spines of the books. He was in the library, a place he didn't frequent often. Madam Pince had given him a suspicious look when he had walked in alone. The entire school, save a few people, was watching the ongoing Quidditch match, Gryffindor vs. Hufflepuff. It was originally supposed to be Gryffindor against Slytherin, but Slytherin had backed out, saying that their seeker needed more time to heal. Icarus, however, suspected that it was because of the weather; it was raining so hard that one could barely see outside.

Icarus had no idea why anyone would want to watch or play a Quidditch match during a storm this bad. He thought that it would be easy for a person on a broom to be knocked off course due to the heavy winds. The only reason why Alan and Phillip were watching the match was because Alan had come up with the brilliant idea to get pneumonia from standing in the rain so that he didn't have to go to classes. He forced Phillip to go with him, but Icarus had opted to stay inside the castle.

"Hello," said a voice from behind him, making him jump and lose his train of thought. He turned around to face whoever had spoken. It was a brown haired girl, and one look at her robes told Icarus that she was a Ravenclaw.

"Er, hello," he said, turning back to the bookshelf.

"Why are you here?" she asked.

"'Scuse me?" Icarus looked at her again.

"I mean, why are you in the library instead of at the Quidditch match?"

"I could ask you the same thing." Icarus resumed walking and turned down another row of shelves.

The girl followed him.

He let out a dramatic sigh. "Not to be rude or anything, but why are you following me?"

"You never answered my question. Why are you in the library instead of the Quidditch match?" she pressed.

"Why are you so annoying?" Icarus countered.

"Still didn't answer my question," she said in a sing-songy voice.

Icarus looked at her, annoyed. "What could a person possibly be doing in a library? You're a Ravenclaw, you figure it out." He started to walk away from her.

"You're looking for a book."

"No, really? I thought I was taking a bath."

The girl rolled her eyes, but otherwise ignored the statement. "What type of book are you looking for?"

"Why do you want to know?"

"I could help you find it," she offered. "I doubt you've ever had a proper look around the library."

Icarus considered her proposal. "All right," he said after some deliberation.

The girl smiled. "Great. What book are you looking for?"

Icarus paused. "One about Animagi." He kept his voice low.

She nodded. "Follow me."

Icarus did as she said. As they walked, Icarus asked her, "Do you like to read?"

The girl's brown eyes lit up. "Oh, I read everything I can get my hands on. It calms me, you know? I find it soothing. I absolutely adore Jane Austen and her works, as well as Shakespeare. Romeo and Juliet is just a beautiful story, don't you think? Have you ever read Romeo and Juliet? If you haven't, I'm afraid I'll have to cut you out of my life. Oh, my name is Renée, in case you're wondering."

Icarus stood there, looking at her, stunned. His mouth moved in a hopeless attempt to form words as he tried to process the word vomit that had just come from her mouth. "Okay," he said slowly.

Renée stopped. "Books on Animagi." She waved a hand at a section of a bookshelf. "So, why do you want to read about Animagi?" she asked, pulling one of the books from the shelf and flicking through it.

"Just curious," Icarus answered truthfully.

She hummed in response. "Well, happy reading." She pressed the book into his hands and started to walk away.

He stood there, book in hand, feeling as if he should say something. At last, he called, "Icarus."

Renée turned around, seeming confused. "What?"

"That's my name. Icarus."

"Like the son of Daedalus, from the Greek myth."

Icarus nodded, a half-smile forming on his face. "My mother named me after someone in a literal Greek tragedy."

"Just be glad she didn't name you something worse." And with that, Renée turned on her heel and exited the library.

A/N Chapter's a little short. Oh, well. I'm back from South Dakota, though. I didn't like it. No offense for anyone one from there, but it just isn't my cup of tea.

What's your Patronus? Oh, and, what do you think of Renée so far?