A PROMISE | CHAPTER ONE

Grace Field Orphanage was dead silent in the early morning

Grace Field Orphanage was dead silent in the early morning. With all of the orphans asleep, the sounds from the forest surrounding the house became more apparent.

~ 73194 ~

The warmth of the sun beamed on the side of my face, making my eyes blink open only to be blinded by the sunlight. A groan left my lips - I turned on my side and took in my surroundings. Gilda had extreme bedhead. Jemima and Alicia were snuggled on a single bed, their limbs entangled together. Even if it didn't make much of a difference, I was grateful that Emma's bed was on the completely different side of the room.

The calendar hanging on the war caught my eye - The twelfth of October was highlighted by a red circle. Every child in Grace Field were to be adopted one day - Lately families were adopting the younger kids, Hao, Sadie, and now Conny. But we couldn't live in Grace Field forever, my older sisters Olivia, Michelle, and Susan were adopted when they were twelve.

I sat up before digging my hand through my pillow and pulling out a key. I reached for my hair ribbon and tied my hair into a ponytail - I left the warmth of my bed and made my way toward the door before sneaking out. The floorboards creaked underneath my feet making me cringe - How I manage to get up without Mom or the others waking up? I had no idea.

I reached the end of the hall before unlocking the door to the lookout. Mom forbid us from accessing the lookout when Mom found out that we would watch her take the children to the gate - She was furious with us that day.

The freezing concrete stairs made my toes numb - A chill running up my spine as I climbed higher. The view quickly took my mind off the cool breeze touching my exposed skin. The clouds in the sky were blown away. The sunrise colored the sky orange and pink before blending perfectly into the blue sky. A light fog was cast over the forest, the world becoming alive to the sunlight.

After a few moments of admiring the view - The sound of a bird calling out to me reminded me of the reason I got out of bed in the first place

After a few moments of admiring the view - The sound of a bird calling out to me reminded me of the reason I got out of bed in the first place. The bird I had taken under my care was calling for her breakfast. I discovered the nest back when she was a hatchling - She was the only one out of three chicks to survive after their Father attacked his young.