XXII

Everyone is smiling, some of them giggling. I think I'm already getting the idea, but I didn't see it coming. Jimmy took a deep breath before reading what was written.

"I can still remember the first time I saw her, for it is also my first time being alone. I was in college then. My best friend, who is also my classmate, was facing an unexpected circumstance at that time. I sat on one of the benches in school, reading a book just to let time pass. I guess my eyes got a bit tired of reading, so I paused for a moment. Then, there was a beautiful lady passing in front of me. My gaze is following her; I didn't even realize I was holding my breath." Everyone is laughing, including Jamie. "The next day, I sat on the same bench, doing the same thing, until it became a daily routine."

I never thought that when I left school, it had an impact on Jimmy. He gets along with the other guys in class, so I thought he would be fine. I never thought I made him lonely.

"I was focused on reading my notes when a bag dropped in front of me. Most of the contents fell out. Of course, as a gentleman, I need to help the owner, so I picked up her stuff. Guess what? The owner of those things is the beautiful lady who stopped me from breathing. Such a surprise, right? She took her things, smiled, and thanked me. That is the most beautiful smile I've seen. I asked her name and introduced myself as 'Jimmy, an architecture student'. She laughed, maybe because I looked stupid. But she told me her name, and it was Jamie." Again, he is smiling like a teenage boy. "Since then, I look forward to seeing her again, even if it's just a glance. I always sit on that bench, reading, letting the time pass by. Until one day, she sat beside me and asked 'Do you always read here?' I said yes. I took a bold move as a stranger: I asked for her number. She gave it without hesitation. I started texting her; I'm glad she's replying. And then, I asked her out on a date. I was preparing myself just in case she says no, but she agreed. I know I jumped out of joy that time." Laughter roared in the room. "I asked her out several times, and on one of our dates, I asked her the question 'Will you be my girlfriend?' She didn't respond yet; I thought it meant no. But she held my hand and said 'Yes, Jimmy'. And that was the happiest day in the life of Jimmy, the architecture student." Jamie is blushing as she listens to him.

"I was able to survive my life as an architecture student; it was also thanks to Jamie. I did my studies on that bench to pass the time, but it was her who motivated me to work hard, to be a better one. I strove harder than I usually do, doubling or tripling the effort as much as possible. I never knew that when you fall in love, you always wanted to be the best. And I have always wanted to be the best man in Jamie's eyes." They are staring at each other; both are smiling and blushing. Jimmy took a deep breath then continued, "Now that I'm a working man, I know I've been very busy that I'm not able to make time for you sometimes. I know I have many shortcomings as a boyfriend. I can understand your disappointments in me, but I'm still working hard to be the best man in your eyes, Jamie." She wipes the tears in her eyes as she hears his heartfelt words. "You showed me a different color in a palette. If that's an appropriate metaphor. Haha... You brought out the best in me, and I will always be thankful that through all these years, you're still with me. I love you, Jamie."

He walked towards her, knelt on one knee, and showed the ring.

"Will you marry me?" Jimmy popped the question.

Jamie covered her mouth in surprise, just like the women in the movies who were asked the same question. Everyone, including me, is waiting for her answer. "Jimmy... yes. I will marry you." She said with tears of joy. Jimmy placed the ring on her finger. They kissed and hugged each other. Jimmy is very happy, happier than someone who won the lottery. I think I am that happy when I won the contest.

All visitors are congratulating the two of them on this engagement. The soon-to-be-groom's parents are happily talking to Jamie, that she will finally be a part of the family. I took a drink; I'll talk to them when I get a chance. As of now, the guests are talking to both of them.

Jamie, I also have feelings for you. Yes, I love you. I have loved you since the first time I saw you. But don't worry, I have no intentions of ruining this engagement or the forthcoming wedding. I just wanted to tell you this. I just want it off my chest. I thought to myself. I will tell her when I find a chance to be alone with her.