The Luncheon

As he waited down below, Flintworth heard Bylious moving about upstairs. The most he could tell was that his master was pacing back and forth. He seemed to be reciting something, not that Flintworth could hear very clearly. Whatever he was reciting must have been important, for it was a full three quarters of an hour before he returned. He pushed open the kitchen door.

"Are you coming or not?" He demanded.

"Of course." Flintworth said hastily, drying his hands on the dishcloth. "I'm ready when you are, sir."

"I've been ready." Bylious grumbled and made for the door. Flintworth glanced at the clock on the mantle as they passed. He breathed a sigh of relief. It was almost ten o'clock, and it would be a half an hour's walk to Trellis Manor. Their early arrival would not inconvenience the household.

I hope, Flintworth thought.

They traveled at a quick pace. No words were exchanged for the pair rarely spoke on these excursions. The morning air hung quietly, and a thin fog was spread over the horizon. This did not impede the two men for both knew the way so well a thick fog would not have deterred them.

Flintworth was still trying to think of a way that he could be alone so as to observe the "lovers" and ascertain what Dr. Newson had been alluding to. His thoughts slowed his walk and he did not notice that the distance between Bylious and him was widening.

At last the idea struck him! Perhaps Bylious would enjoy a quiet walk around in the garden—then again, perhaps he wouldn't, but it was the best Flintworth could think of. With a sigh he looked up and was then made aware that Bylious was significantly ahead of him. He was knocking on the front door of Trellis Manor, in point of fact.

Leeds opened the door. He masked his surprise on beholding the visitor.

"Is Miss Eloise in?" Bylious asked.

"She is, sir." Leeds replied.

He looked past Bylious and saw Flintworth running down the path towards the house.

Breathing an inward sigh of relief, Leeds turned again to Bylious. "Come in."

With a smile, Bylious nodded and stepped past. Leeds did not close the door, but waited for Flintworth to catch up. Flintworth caught hold of the railings to the steps, panting heavily. He then pulled himself forward and reached the door.

"Caught up to the devil yet?" Leeds asked impassively.

"Oh, please," Flintworth sighed. "If you want the devil, Faulke would be—" He stopped. "Yes, well, erm, good morning, Leeds."

"Same to you." Leeds replied, stepping aside for him.

Flintworth made his way to the parlor. Upon entering, he stopped short and groaned inwardly. Bylious was sitting in the velvet chair, while Jeremy and Eloise were seated side by side upon the long sofa.

"Ha! See, I told you he'd be along," Bylious said as Flintworth entered. He waited until Eloise and Jeremy had turned before giving Flintworth a look which showed his displeasure. Jeremy had reached the manor before Bylious had.

Keeping out of the way, Flintworth settled himself in a carved wooden seat by the door. After a silence, Bylious grinned.

"Miss Eloise," he said, "you'll play for me, will you? You didn't last time."

Eloise blushed. "Oh...I suppose I could, Mr. Bylious," she began to rise and squeezed Jeremy's hand before letting go.

"Oh, take him along if you must," Bylious said, catching the gesture. "I hear he can play something of a tune."