12. Soul of Fire

⚠️ Trigger Warning ⚠️

Abuse, Blood

Kuang Lu came in with a soft pale blue hanfu adorned with silver shimmers draped neatly over her forearm.

Her eyes moved over the weak immortal resting peacefully in the emperor's bed with muffled curiosity. 

This had happened to her before, but this time it was for someone else instead of herself.

Run Yu was once again scrambling to help someone he loved, pushing her to the sidelines.

She couldn't wrap her mind around it all.

Initially Mei Xiu was just a servant who was supposed to learn about the heavenly realm and how things worked.

Kind of like Jin Mi.

Then she was supposed to just fade in with the others or leave when the emperor became too much- or- something... anything but what she had achieved thus far.

Kind of like Jin Mi.

Within just a few days she had left her mark on not only everyone across the many realms, but also the Emperor's heart.

Just like Jin Mi.

The tiger immortal had managed to do everything Kuang Lu had wanted to- exactly how that previous bitch had.

She won Run Yu's affection.

She gets to take care of Run Yu and he allows her to because she's special to him.

She's managed to wrap him around her fingers to the point that he was abandoning his duties just to help her get better.

Where was his heart when she needed it?

Why couldn't she free him from Jin Mi's charm when the grape fairy had moved on with his brother?

Why couldn't she save him from his depression?

Why couldn't she reunite the realms and restore the heavenly realm for him?

All of these raging and roaring emotions were gnawing away at her genuine admiration and leaving her bare and boiling with envy.

Was Mei Xiu her friend or foe?

Part of her wanted to watch the immortal spit up blood and die before Run Yu returned... the other part would never forgive herself when she saw Run Yu fall apart if she killed Mei Xiu.

With a tired sigh she pressed her lips into a line before approaching the immortal.

Her next course of action pertaining this dilemma would need time to process.

She could either move on or carve her way in.

"Mei Xiu."

Cold brown eyes opened slowly to meet Kuang Lu's.