5. Plum Wine

Unedited*

Mei woke up to the smell of freshly baked pastries and cut fruit.

Despite the craving for roasted duck braised in plum wine or something else more decadent, the aroma was enticing enough for her to wake up fully and crawl out of bed.

The tiger immortal stretched before making her bed with a gentle tug at the aquamarine sheets. 

Mei slowly walked over to the small table at the front of her room before inspecting the platter of treats awaiting her.

A note peeked out from under one of the corners, delicate fingers gently plucking it from its hiding space before brown eyes quickly skimmed over the message.

Here are some of the dishes I designed. Please feel free to make notes of what you think everyone would enjoy.

Kuang Lu

Mei Xiu hummed as she looked at the food before her.

There were pastries stuffed with kumquats, glistening peach tarts, mooncakes with salted eggs, custards and puddings garnished with various fruits- steamed cakes, dried fruit, and spiced nuts- but something was missing.

Something roasted or braised.

It would probably be offensive to one of the other immortals though.

Mei sighed before tucking in to the desserts.

The immortal made notes on each dish. Her brush moved quickly to capture small suggestions on what was great and what didn't fit the occasion.

After rereading her notes, Mei started cleaning things up before picking up the platter with one hand.

Humming a soft tune, Mei hid the note in her robe before walking out of the palace.

She was mindful of the scrapes on her palms as she made her way to the kitchen, greeting guards on her way there.

"Hello." Mei smiled as she spotted Kuang Lu working drowsily over a pot of stew.

"Hey Mei Xiu."

"Who is this for?"

"His Majesty."

Mei frowned. "Go take a nap. I'll handle this for you."

"You sure?"

"It's one of my duties to help around here."

"Alright."

"Here's my adjustments to your menu." Mei whispered as she discreetly handed over the folded piece of parchment.

Kuang Lu nodded before hiding it. "Thanks. I'll see you in a bit."

Mei Xiu grimaced as she stood over the boiling pot of burning vegetables stew.

"Okay...so....maybe a new round of stew would do."

Some of the fairies of the kitchen watched Mei scramble around to make a new bowl of stew, whispering amongst themselves as they watched the immortal struggle with the dish.

By the time she was done, a brown stew with hand cut flower shaped vegetables sat in a bowl before her.

One scoop of rice sat in another bowl next to a set of chopsticks and a jade spoon settled on a turquoise cloth.

Bandages covered each of Mei's fingers, but her grip remained firm on the wooden tray despite the pain. 

Before leaving the kitchen, she glanced back at the gossiping fairies.