Chapter 24

~Isolde's Point of View~

The slamming of the front door stopped our conversation about the mole. The door to the office creaked open and the face of Mia coming from behind the door threw me into shock. I tried to keep my composure as she waltzed into the room as if nothing's wrong.

"Hola punta." She starts making her way around the desk with her arms out, anticipating a hug. Her arms drop down when she notices the glare she is receiving from me. Once she takes the chance to look around, all the awkward glances between me and her come to her attention.
"Is something wrong?" I give Damon a look, signaling him to get the fuck out. Everyone else follows his lead, leaving me and Mia alone.

"How did the mission go," I ask, trying to get her to tell me about the contract herself.

"It went pretty good. We were able to hack into one of the Russian compounds and loot it, killing everyone inside. Only minor injuries on our group," she explained, avoiding eye contact.

"Nothing else?"

It took her a second to finally answer me. "Yeah that's all." I sighed, realizing I would have to force the truth out of her. Reaching behind me, I unlocked a draw and pulled out the crinkled, unsigned contract.

"What about this," I questioning, sliding the contract in front of her. Her eyes scanned over the paper and once it hit her what it was, she looked over at me with wide eyes. I didn't break eye contact with her, hiding any emotions I was feeling.

"I swear Isolde, it's not what it looks like!"

"I have eyes, I know what it looks like. I'm asking what the hell it's about," I snapped, loosing patience. Mia ran her hands through her hair multiple times before her head drooped.

"I wasn't lying about the mission, but I guess I did miss a few minor details." I cocked an eyebrow knowing it wasn't just a minor fucking detail. "When I was leaving the compound with the rest of our team, one of the Russians grabbed me from a bush I'm guessing they were hiding in. The rest of the soldiers didn't notice because Oliver was leading them. I tried so fucking hard to get him to let me go but he was more than triple my size. He brought me to their compound in Sochi. I was blindfolded most of the time. Once they finally took it off I was sitting in this room with Alexander. He put this fucking paper in front of me," she pointed to the contract. "He said if I didn't sign it, he would kill me, but before we finished the alarm went off. I ran off." She looked away from me and kept her eyes locked on something random in the bookshelf.

"So if you didn't sign it he would kill you, correct?"

"Yes," she confirmed. I shoot myself up and head for the door. I needed to get away from her, but before I could open the door she pulled me back. "Isolde, don't do this, I'm sorry. I never even finished the fucking the contract."

"But you intended to," I spit out. "I always put you over me. If it was ever a you or me situation, I would always take a bullet for you. I have put my life on the line for you so many times Mia, God damnit." I tugged at the ends of my hair out of frustration. Once I finally made eye contact with her, I could tell, she had nothing to say. "I can't believe this. You would kill my entire fucking family, but we are the reason you didn't die on the streets. We are the reason you get to live the life you live. We are the reason you even have a family. Mia, we were your family."

"Were?" Her voice trembled.

"You heard me right. I expect you gone before sunrise tomorrow." It took everything in me to not comfort her. The look in her eyes showed complete betrayal, when in reality, she was the one who betrayed me. I had to remind myself why I was doing this, if she would go against us that easily, she would do it again.