Chapter 12

Uncle David, a 5'8 " height with a beer belly, was standing in front of me.

The hallway to my house seemed darker than ever. It seemed as if he had killed the lights to his orders. All I could see was his body silhouette, reflecting through the lamppost.

Uncle David had always been a serious person, I really don't remember the last time , when I saw him smiling. He was a well renowned politician, who got bailed for his offense of killing his pregnant wife.

I guess that's enough to describe how powerful he was. It isn't really bad to stay with a murderer though, he had only two things precious in his life, one being aunt Helen , because he loved her too much to let her die and other being 'Red Wine'.

"Where had you been Nova?", he faked his polite tone.

"Nowhere uncle, I was just nearby. I suppose you were planning to return after the weekend ", I said, trying to sound as calm as I could.

"I asked where the fuck were you Nova", I stood quiet .

He spoke in a serious voice. "Are you deaf to not answer my question?"

"I had gone to take some notes from my friend's house, for the preparation of my.....umm board exams.", I replied hesitantly.

"Do you consider me a fool Nova? The day I'll catch you doing some shit, remember that'll be the last day of your life Nova. You are already aware that everyone in the town knows that you're my brother's daughter. One wrong step and.... you know what'll happen next." his voice was grave enough for me to understand that this was the first and the last warning.

I stepped into the hallway and turned on the lights.

"But uncle, I am already 18 and I have full rights to do whatever I.... "

"Don't test my patience Nova. I know this isn't your fault. Your parents have pampered you to this extent. Stop being a spoilt brat. Learn to respect my orders ", he said stopping me in the middle of my rant.

I removed my shoes and kept them in the shoe rack. I knew there was no point arguing with him, especially when I am already high on my anger.

It gets wierd when he brings my parents in between, uncle has never treated me right, since I was a kid learing how to speak and talk, he has been showing his rude side to me.

I still remember the time, when I was so ill that my body had raised it's temperature to 103°C and still he had told me to prepare dinner for him. I always wanted to tell him, that I am a lot more than just his maid, but I don't know why I have a soft corner for him.

I know he isn't the person he pretends to be.

I kept my shoulder bag on the side table and began heading towards my room, when I heard his voice again.

"Pour me a glass of red wine before you dose off to sleep and also Nova, inform me before going out of this house the next time, otherwise things won't be good for you. "

I tried hard to protect my tears from falling down my eyes. I wish mom and dad could be here.

_____

Why does Nova live with her uncle? Any guesses.