𝟐𝟓| 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐡𝐞𝐪𝐮𝐞

-𝐇𝐄𝐑-

"Get back to work," He commanded, "I want the readings more accurate,"

"That will be done," I told him, "but I have a question,"

"What is it?"

"Would I be paid right away for my service?" I asked him. I thought that one side of his face twitched again when I said 'paid'. Did he have any problem? I was doing the work I'd promised to do. I should be paid!

"That shall be decided on the outcome of your service," He told me grimly. "Now, get back to work without wasting any more time. Bother me only when you're sure the work has been done right,"

"Do you wish to be bothered by my venture to the LEVEL 2 again?" I asked. He almost ground his teeth.

"Knock on that cupboard. I don't want you anywhere near LEVEL 2,"

"I wonder why's that,"

"You should wonder less and work more. I pay you to work not to wonder," He told me before he was gone. I was not pleased with his answer but nonetheless, I was getting that sweet sweet money in return for this meager work.

My Aunt and cousin would be out of their minds if they ever learn that I had ever had so much money in my possession and that too by working. It's such a shame I couldn't shove it in their face anytime soon but I do look forward to it. I would have loved to see the look on their faces but for now, I must get to work.

Again, it didn't take me long to measure them multiple times and then calculate the average of all the readings. Though the latter rook me slightly long. After checking my calculations thrice, I finally decided to bother Mr. Night.

As he'd said, I went to the cupboard at the corner of the room and knocked at it. At first, nothing happened so I decided to open it and look inside to see what was there and how on earth would me knocking on this thing would summon Mr. Night.

Was the cupboard an Arabian lamp and Mr. Night the genie who resided inside it and knocking on it was the way to summon him?

I didn't know why but the idea made me giggle.

Next, I tried to open the cupboard but nothing happened. There were also other cupboards in the room but they were all open except for this particular one. I had become so busy looking at the cupboard that I'd failed to notice when the door of LEVEL 1 had opened and a familiar pair of footsteps stalked inside the room. It wasn't until I felt his eyes burn on my back did I feel his presence but it was already too late.

"What are you doing there?" A familiar voice made me jump. I turned around to find him already standing by the table, watching me pensively.

"I was wondering why is this cupboard locked,"

"What did I tell you about wondering less under my employment," He told me before picking up the parchment and looking at the mess I had created on it.

"Pathetic," I thought I heard him mutter under his breath. This made me step beside him to look at which parchment paper he was looking at. It was the one where I'd done my rough calculations. I instantly felt blood rushed to my face because it was a mess.

I snatched the paper off his hands.

"That's the wrong paper," I told him before handing him the right ones. His gaze burned extra fiercely on my face before he finally took the papers from me and started to look through them. My eyes were focused on his face which was void of any emotion. Only his eyes followed the line of wobbly numbers I had scribbled carefully on the parchment. As the moments passed by, the silence in the room grew louder. I was getting anxious as I looked at the parchment and thence to his face.