Bonjour France

The first day in Paris had been amazing. Harry had no idea what anyone was saying, including Albus who spoke French fluently. He had no idea what anything was (except for the Eiffel tower). He had no idea where to go, so he simply roamed the streets without any set destination. He waited in a long line to ride to the top of the Eiffel tower, where various people wandered up to sell suspiciously cheap looking souvenirs for prices much higher than they appeared to deserve. And the only people who looked over at Harry appeared to only be looking at him in response to him gaping at everything while in pure "tourist" mode. It was wonderful!

It helped that Albus had made it clear that they could stay for as long as Harry liked, and there was no hurry to take in all the sights at once. Albus never complained or suggested any sort of destination. When they stopped for breakfast, Harry enjoyed his very first crepe (he had his second crepe for lunch). Albus ordered and paid, while Harry talked excitedly at the old man. It wouldn't be until weeks later that Harry would realize that he had never given Albus a chance to say a single word, nor did the man seem overly perturbed by the one-sided conversations of the day.

After a long day, and an early dinner of an onion pizza, Albus apparated them to the gates of an estate in Bordeaux.

Albus turned toward Harry, looking down at the smiling boy. "I take it you had a good day, Harry?"

Harry's smile threatened to split his face in half. "It was... fantastic! It was like the first time I went into Diagon Alley. Everything was just so... different, and beautiful, and delicious, and... and where are we?"

Albus chuckled. "This is the estate of my friend Pierre. I assisted his father back in the war against Gellert, and he was kind enough to allow us the use of a couple of his guest rooms for as long as we are in France. His wards have noticed our arrival, so he should be at the gates soon enough."

Harry nodded, but was interrupted from responding by the sudden appearance of a pleasant looking man with curly brown hair, sharp features, and eyes that spoke of a life filled with laughter. Next to the man stood a House Elf dressed in a deep blue, immaculate pillowcase. The elf stood with a straight back, which contrasted with what Harry remembered of Dobby's stooped posture.

"ALBUS!" the man shouted in joy, followed by a string of French that Harry could not understand. Albus replied in turn, and then swept his arm to point to Harry.

The man turned to Harry with a smile, extending his hand as he began to speak in accented English. Harry accepted the man's hand and shook it.

"Ah, Mister Potter. It is wonderful to meet you. I am Pierre Bordale, and I am happy to welcome you to my home. As you are a guest and here with Albus, please call me Pierre."

"Thank you, Pierre. Thank you for letting us stay with you. It is a beautiful house. And, please call me Harry."

Pierre chuckled kindly. "Like I would deny Albus. My father would take the first portkey back from his house where he has retired in Canada to give me a lecture the likes of which I have not experienced since I was a small child. Oh, this is my House Elf, Jean, feel free to ask him for anything while you are here. Though he doesn't speak English so you may need to ask Albus to translate for you."

Jean perked up, and asked Pierre something. Pierre's eyebrows rose and looked back to Harry.

"Jean wants to know if the House Elf, currently standing disillusioned behind you, will be staying with us."

Harry's eyes widened in shock as he spun around to look at the empty space behind him.

"Dobby? Is that you? Are you there?"

Where there was empty space, there was now an excited House Elf bouncing on his heels staring back at Harry with undiluted reverence. Dobby was still wearing his dingy pillowcase, with the addition of two silken green socks adorning his feet.