As Your World Caved In

Kim Taehyung had been a 19-year-old man pursuing the life of an artist as he was starting to gain global attraction after his painting of angels and demons at war was purchased by a millionaire under the name Hades. He never personally met him, but he had exchanged a few gracious emails with him, but that was the year when vampires started to become relentless, and their senseless killings of humanity were classified as feral animal attacks. He had not known of the existence of vampires—many didn't as most of their victims rarely survived, so he attributed the killings to the world going mad.

He once aspired to create pieces that would invoke profound emotions, and when Hades initially emailed him, he praised him for just that. The emails slowly altered, gracious praises quickly turned to invasive questions as the millionaire wanted to know more of Taehyung—he wanted to know how much he knew of the world and the things that crawled at night. It was frightening and it was followed by a quick block because Taehyung could not comprehend what the millionaire attempted to allude to.

He had been away at school, cities away from his hometown, but after not hearing from his family—his parents and three younger siblings, he rushed back to his hometown by train. His limbs were shaking, an unexpected rush of nerves overtook him and as he reached the front door to the home that his family grew up in, a foul stench welcomed him. Taehyung held his stomach, his knees wobbling as he eventually opened the front door.

The smell only worsened, and his heart clenched as he stumbled within, and the sight before him had him shrieking. He couldn't hear himself screaming as the agony stunned him entirely. His entire family had been slaughtered mercilessly and their wounds alluded to a vicious monster, but Taehyung's eyes settled on a painting that had been hung at the center of the living room.

His breathing ceased, his head spun as he slowly neared the painting of angels and demons at war and on the bottom right corner there had been a post-it note that read:

Your painting is beautiful, but it told a story that I detest. Was I meant to be the demon? How about now? I should have turned them into vampires so they could be demons along my side, but I suppose this should sting more. You couldn't have saved them because you are only but a weak, feeble thing. I shall await with patience for the day that I may sink my teeth into you and strip you of your humanity as I did to your family.

Thank you for this piece, but you deserve it back.

I will see you very soon as I cannot wait to meet such a talented human. Until then.

Xx Hades

Taehyung remained in place, note in hand but his mind could not process the words—at least not immediately and not entirely. His eyes remained on the word 'vampire' and he continued to replay the news outlets in his mind, but they had all alluded to animal attacks. As he gazed at the broken features of his family he realized that these were more than simple attacks and perhaps they were more calculated than anyone expected.

He stared back at Hades' words for a moment, but he rushed out of his family home because he could not stand the sight of his loved ones dead. He fell to his knees before his house, his hands clutching onto the note as he cried heavily for his family.

He had not known the weight of it then—had not truly known of the creatures of the night, but despite it all, he instantly made a vow to his family that he would do everything in his power to find the thing that killed them mercilessly. He made a vow to his family that he would find Hades and he would find a way to kill him. Even if it killed him. Taehyung had never been anything short of a pacifist, but that day he died alone with his family as his entire life shifted.