Chapter 9- Ladies of the Night

The car passed under the shadow of the Yahal brothel, and Dr. Trarsius looked up at the towering mass. He diverted his eyes quickly. His face was a little pale. The traffic around the brothel was always atrocious. Out of towners and off worlders made their way to see it. The crowding in that sector was one bad side effect of the bustling tourist activity invigorated the town.

Dr. Trarsius parked two blocks away and let his engine idle. A thought of turning the key again and fleeing occurred to him. It wasn't to be. A smart person didn't flee a summons from the brothel. Not if you wanted to keep working even in the vicinity of town.

Never having been inside, he didn't know what to expect. He had never wanted to go inside. He saw one of the girls, once, on a rare visit into town. She was the second most beautiful woman he'd ever seen. He'd never thought to see a more beautiful one. He still remembered the whore walking in the streets, and he'd tried to look away. She was a little yellow skinned woman with eyes bluer than a mountain stream. Her eyes had been so empty and so cold.

Now he was called to the brothel and not by choice. Officially, the brothel did not command, but as they were one of the primary corporations that funded a high Councillor they were nearly untouchable by the law. Best keep the powers that be placated. For that reason, he turned off his car and got out.

Smoothing the lapel of his jacket, he stared down the block. Dr. Trarsius began to walk. The sidewalk was crowded with well-dressed men and a few stray women. Street vendors pushed at him, and wonderful smells wafted out of open doors along the street front. He shoved past the people. Hover cars sped overhead, carrying rich off worlders to and from the Brothel.

Finally, he came to the large gold covered doors. The doorman looked down at him from a grand height.

"What do you want?" the doorman said in a voice that was minuscule for one of his immense size.

"I was asked here by Mr. Ymel," Dr. Trarsius said. His hands fumbled in front of him until they finally withdrew a note from his pocket. He handed this to the doorman.

The doorman looked at it then down at the little man. "Go inside."

Dr. Trarsius stepped inside and found himself flanked with men almost as big as the one outside. The sweat on his forehead gleamed in the bright light. The men looked down at him, and he shoved the note in front of him. A talisman.

One of the men stepped up and read it. He nodded. "Sondro will see you, there."

Another man stepped forward and smiled in a very disconcerting way. Dr. Trarsius had no choice but to follow him.

No vulgar pictures or ornaments lined the hall that implied what the place was. Everything within the passage sang elegance. Doorways were solid wood with silver handles and intricate carvings. They stepped into a side hallway. The same graceful design reigned here as well. The carpet was rich and dark, and the ceiling was high and hung with lights that dripped crystals. They stopped at a wooden door, and Sondro knocked and announced himself and the visitor.

The door opened. A man of normal size and a reassuring businesslike appearance stood there. He had an old-world Asiatic quality, with a pronounced slant to his eyes and rod straight black hair. A wide white smile caused the creases around his eyes to deepen. "Thank you for bringing Dr. Trarsius to me."

Dr. Trarsius gulped and shook the man's hand. "You must be Mr. Ymel."

"Yes, I'm afraid that is me." His smile continued, and Dr. Trarsius shifted nervously under it. "Why don't the two of you come inside?"

Dr. Trarsius stepped into the room as Mr. Ymel stepped aside. Sondro followed him. One other man reclined in stiff metal backed chair inside the room. Fat with long hair pulled back into a ponytail. There was a one way window in the back of the room through which the doctor could see numerous shapely women and a few musclebound men walking around.