Chapter 14- Aftermath

"Course my offer stands." Gretta rested her parasol against her shoulder. "Else why'd I have come? Get on with it. Some of us have to work fer a living. I should be back at the shop with Papa."

"I've agreed to wed Marim," Darith said.

Gretta arched a brow and fingered the end of her parasol. "And she consented?"

"Her father did."

"Are ye really going to tell me ye didn't ask her yourself?"

"Her father will broach the subject with her as custom dictates." Could Gretta never stay on topic? The woman was a ball of emotions. This was not the point at all. Darith opened his mouth to tell her so.

"Stupid noble tradition. Ask her—" Gretta started.

"I didn't ask you here to argue the point. In two months, we'll be wed, and by then, her pregnancy will show."

"Oh." Gretta clapped her hands over her mouth. "The poor thing. I didn't know..." Then Gretta's eyes got colder and her lips tightened. Her gaze bore into him.

"I didn't impregnate her, Gretta." Darith rubbed at his temples. "But you're the only one who needs to know that."

"Why would ye tell me? Certainly not to spare my feelings."

"Because I need you to take care of her. The baby... well it's affecting her mind. She's talks to creatures that aren't there, and at night, nightmares hound her. She's leaving here tonight, and her father will never let me stay with her before the wedding, but she needs someone to care for her. To sleep at her side. The end point is, she'll be in no shape to be Countess unless she gets better. I need someone to oversee my household. She doesn't have the strength. You do."

"What're ye saying?"

"Physically, I'm limited and I need someone to do what I can't. The first of those things is to look after Marim until she has the baby—maybe even longer. The second is..." Darith drew out an envelope and extended his arm to her. "Do you know what a Timmy is?"

Gretta's nose scrunched, demonstrating she did and though her hand lifted, she didn't take the envelope. She eyed it, suspicious of both the paper and him.

"Every month, I need this amount to go to Timmy."

Gretta leaned away from him, condemnation in her brown eyes.

"No," Darith said. She thinks I am sleeping with Timmy. She thinks I'm asking her to pay for that. "Don't worry, I never need to visit the boy. I've never used a Timmy's services, but events in my life have led to me feeling indebted. I need to help him. An account in your name is established already. It will provide money for you and him on a monthly basis—for you, an equivalent amount as would be provided to keep a mistress. There's also a hunting cabin just outside of town that I will sign over to you. This should allow you to have independence."

"Independence as long as I watch yer household matters."

"This is a trust set up for life. Just take care of Marim as long as she needs it. See that the current Timmy has a shot at a future outside of the brothels... and your life is your own. You could choose a pauper to wed if you wished."

"That's a lot just fer watching a girl and dropping an envelope."

"And for your silence. You'll see things with Marim... that cannot be explained."

"I'll do it fer ye. Though I don't understand, but ye've gotta do something fer me."

"The money is sufficient."