🎈 His Favourite 🎈

They were sat around arm’s length apart

They were sat around arm’s length apart. His energy was that of adoration and pure, unfiltered happiness as he gazed at his best friend who he wished would move closer, but was too shy to ask. His blue eyes twinkled in the humid night, his grin not unlike that of a Cheshire cat. Altogether there were four of them, all friends over the years; Jack and Fredrick were the closest.

Jack was naive, famously flamboyant and had the most sensitive heart a man could possess. Fredrick was the complete opposite, a caveman-type with established muscles that could only be achieved by a dedicated athlete.

“I’ve invited my mate here tonight, if that’s okay.” Fredrick asked, though it was more of a statement. Jack snapped out of his gaze that mimicked that of a loyal watchdog and grimaced, his ocean-eyes glowing in loss, of that his best friend won’t be focused on him anymore.

“Who?” He managed to choke out through his grief.

“Robbie. Why does it matter, Jack?” Fredrick challenged, watching him in a way that made the passionate man want to curl in on himself and disappear.

“Robbie? Really? I hate the way you look at him! Do you know what, honestly-” Jack began, raising his hands in defence. The opposing men with them were chuckling knowingly.

“-it does cut me up! Because you look at Robbie in a way you’ve never looked at me! I’ve tried everything, I’ve shaved my beard off, I’ve changed my voicemail to ‘wassup’, I watch football matches now and for twenty minutes afterwards I talk complete bollocks about them. I have done everything I can, and you still don’t look at me how you look at Robbie!”

The room filled with silence, the only sound erupting from the men was the occasional giggle as they awaited Fredrick’s response. The blonde man was gawking at his lap, perhaps with nostalgia, perhaps with amusement. Jack crossed his arms over his chest, his heart hammering in his ears, his palms clinging to his shirt with nervous sweat.

“Jack, I never said we were exclusive.” Freddie quipped, oblivious of how the stitches securing Jack’s composure were being torn to shreds.

“James, do you want to come over here?” Jack’s friend spoke, his voice trembling with laughter. His face was innocent, unknowing of the roaring mistake he'd just made that induced Jack to huff unbelievably.

“I’m sorry? James?” Jack repeated, his eyes widening in shock. The friend broke into nervous laughter.

“You’re trying to make me feel better about myself, and you got my name wrong? I couldn’t feel any less appreciated in this room right now! My best friend has just shunted me out for Robbie fucking whatshisname, and you can’t even get my name right!”

The men erupted into laughter, clutching their chests in a foolish attempt to gather more oxygen. Jack shifted to face Freddie, who was beaming at him.

Suddenly the much-anticipated arrival of Robbie had befallen, the older gentleman thrusting open the door and barking his enthusiasm. Whatever he'd said had made Fredrick laugh (much to Jack's envy).

Jack nodded in acknowledgement to the new arrival, twisting away from his best friend in a childish attempt to appear irritated when all he wanted to do was gaze dreamily at him.

Jack overheard them giggling together like they'd known each other for years. He held back humiliated tears fuelled by jealousy as he rapidly found his shoes astonishingly interesting.

Robbie paid compliment after compliment to Jack's best friend.

The couch they were sat on was swallowing him whole, his clothes seizing his skin and tugging it apart. The burning desire to claim Freddie as his most immeasurable friend and nobody else's was gnawing away at him.

"Listen to him! All over him like a rash! Oh isn't Freddie great?" Jack mockingly whined, glancing behind him to verify that Fredrick had noticed him.

He had.

"Jack, what's up with you?" He demanded, smirking. Jack launched his hand towards Fredrick's face, his palm almost resting on the larger man's nose.

"Talk to the hand." Jack deadpanned, finally collapsing into a fit of giggles, baring his flawless teeth in a lopsided grin.

Freddie gazed at Jack in complete passion and care.

And Jack noticed.

He was Freddie's favourite.