3. This Elder Brother Wonders If Old People Are Always This Troublesome

It's good that I haven't had a system dictate or restrict my actions yet.

It's also good that things aren't that bad, yet...

Zhu Song sat stiffly, both hands in his lap as he stared at the sobbing lady in front of him.

Can I... like, have a refund? Or maybe a manual?

These kinds of parents are not really my thing...

"Oh my poor little boy, I'm so happy that you woke up! I thought that..." She choked up, unable to continue, and looked at him like he was the only person left in this whole world.

Zhu Li smiled softly. "I tried to tell Mother to not get agitated like this. But she still insisted to come and see for herself." 

The lady huffed, "Of course I did. Your elder brother has been asleep for almost a week after... that fall. Did you send a message to your father about Song'er recovering?"

"Yes, Mother. Please talk with Gege, I... I'll go call the family doctor."

"Li'er, you're such a good boy." She smiled, the action somehow smoothening out the wrinkles of worry and stress etched onto her face. 

Zhu Li bowed and left.

Zhu Song found himself left in the vicinity of the kind-looking lady, who was probably expecting him to initiate a conversation.

Initiating. A. Conversation.

Me?!

He, a thankless, unfilial child since forever - how must this situation be dealt with, hm?

All-knowing Sage had literally written nothing about this canon fodder's interpersonal relationships except that abusive streak! How is this venerable one supposed to act?

Wait.

If this body's mine now, so's the role!

Yosh, time to take matters into my own hands!

"Son, how..." The lady hesitated a bit, "How're you feeling today?"

First step: No being rude to a kind person who obviously wants the best for you.

Zhu Song attempted to sit up a bit straighter and bowed. "Good morning Mother. I'm feeling quite better now, thank you for asking."

"You're my son, of course I'm asking! Song'er, you're growing up too quickly - aren't you?"

He looked up to see the mother sigh. Uh, the response was wrong? Was he too formal...? Or was it... drat it, did the original have a special way of talking?!

Wooh, this one's overthinking again.

Inner peace... inner pea- nope not gonna work.

He mentally laughed at himself.

"Song'er, does... does anywhere hurt?"

"...No."

"That's good."

As far his experience with a mother went, he remembered glittering pearls, clinking tall glasses, sequined dresses, and another door closed in his face in a huge, huge mansion. 

As for the one sitting across from him... 

He frowned, looking at the black circles around her eyes. A few strands of hair fell on her tired, deep-set eyes, adding to a haggard expression that seemed to hint just how much she had aged inside. She must have been keeping up at night.