Chapter Twenty-five: Therapy.

After the disturbing incidents of the previous day, it was no surprise when I was summoned to the human resource department. I didn't feel quite up to facing the unpleasant aftermath but the decision was no longer in my hands. I trudged my way there looking as forlorn as I felt. I just hoped the whole process would be quick and I wouldn't spend my morning buried in boring paperwork.

I was quickly ushered into the office of the Human resource manager. She had a welcoming smile as I walked in that immediately put me off. People didn't just smile at you in the morning for no reason. It did not help that there was an unfamiliar woman seated in the chair opposite her. The woman had a similar smile which supposed to be reassuring but immediately made me all the more suspicious.

"Good morning, Lydda." I greeted the HR manager.

"Good morning, Aisha. You don't have to look so sour to see me." She replied playfully.

"You're being nice," I responded.

"I am head of HR, of course I am supposed to be nice. Have a seat, please." She guided.

"Am I in trouble?" I blurted out.

"Of course not. After yesterday, though, I thought it would be nice for you to talk to someone." She explained.

"I already talked to Sheila," I rebutted.

"I meant a professional," she clarified.

"I am confused," I answered honestly.

"This here is Martha," she said as she pointed towards the mysterious lady. "She is the company's therapist."

"Therapist as in like a shrink? But I am fine. And I am not crazy, I promise." I quickly defended.

"Nobody is saying that you are. We just need for you to be okay. It is my duty to ensure all employee welfare is taken care of." Lydda explained.

"Do I have to?" I sulked.

"Yes," she replied firmly.

"Okay, let's start." I said as I turned to face Martha. Both women burst into laughter. I jumped in surprise and quickly became confused by their response. "What? Am being serious." I went on.

"Unless it is couple's therapy, then a counselling session is usually between just two people." Martha spoke up.

"Oh," I said in horror as I realised that I had just made a fool out of myself. Silly me.

"How about this, you get to work and think about what you need to say. Then, at 10:30 after your tea break you will come to my office and we will talk." Martha offered.

"You have an office?" I asked without thinking. Oops, there goes my runaway mouth.

"Of course I do. Where do you think I work from?" She laughed off.

"In my defense, I didn't know we had an office counsellor until just now. And 10:30 sound fine since I have some work that needs my immediate attention."

"Good, see you then." Martha agreed.

I quickly rushed out of the office. I dialed the phone number before I was completely out of the door. I needed to vent and I could only think of one person who'd listen to my self pitying. The line rang a couple of times before the call ended. I tried again and waited impatiently for Sheila to pick up. When she did not, I tried her personal cellphone and then back to her work phone with no response. I was getting frustrated and fast. I blame my annoyance on what I did next.

"Hello," a deep voice answered on the other end.

"Your people are making see a shrink," I complained, not bothering to reply to the greeting.

"Who is this?" The voice sounded genuinely confused which made my anger boil over.

"I swear Jacob if you don't stop pretending right this moment I will match up to your office and punch you in the face," I growled into the phone.

"Did I forget to send you flowers after a steamy night of passion together?" The voice asked, the confusion as pronounced as my own anger.

"I would never sleep with you!" I yelled. Just then, the lift doors opened to my floor. I let the doors close and pressed the up button. It seemed like I would have to have this conversation in person.

"Now I am convinced that this is the wrong number. Every woman I know wants to get in my pants." The cocky bastard had the audacity to inform me. I didn't reply for a while.

"Is that so?" I asked as I walked into his office.

"Aisha!" He called out with a huge smile. "You didn't tell me you were visiting today," he said as he hang up.

"Don't start with me, Jacob."

"Oh come on, I was just teasing you. That's what friends do, right?"

"So you knew it was me?" I probed.

"Of course I did, you are my favourite friend in the whole entire world." He said in an exaggerated manner. It was surprising to see him goofing around.

"Are you on your period?" I asked in confusion.

"Guys don't get periods," he told me in a way that suggested that I was being stupid. "I just closed a really big deal this morning. And then you came to see me. That's double the blessings so I am extra happy," he said with a creepily wide smile.

"You're weird," I pointed out.

"So are you," he shot back.

"Yeah, whatever. So why do I need to do therapy?" I asked.

"I haven't heard about that. Who said you have to?" He looked genuinely unaware.

"Lydda did. That after that incident yesterday I should talk to Martha, the office counsellor. Did you know that we had one?"

"Yes, it was my idea to have a therapist in the office. However, I am not aware that you have to see her. What happened yesterday?" He offered.

"You don't know? I thought you knew everything." It was shocking to think the gossip hadn't made its was to his office yet.

"No, I have been quite busy lately."

"Oh my gosh, I got two people fired yesterday. It wasn't on purpose and they were having sex in my office but Lydda insists that I need to talk about it to someone. And I already talked to Sheila but..."

"Hold up, what!!!?" Jacob interrupted. He nearly jumped out of his chair as he leaned over towards me. "Employees are having sex in the office now?" He looked way too gleeful for my liking.

"Yeah, and it is absolutely disgusting." I pointed out.

"Of course you'd think that, you are a prude." He replied flippantly. His words cut like a knife.

"I am not a prude," I said in a small voice.

"Nevermind, tell me all the details." He brushed off my protest. It immediately put me in a bad mood.

"Am over this. See you around, Jacob." I said and got to my feet. I did not turn back even he called my name repeatedly. And I felt absolutely awful trying to fight back the angry tears. I was not a prude.