Chapter 7

"Do you like it?"

Layla stared in awe at her new room as she held onto Hamish's hand. Her caramel eyes moved from left to right as she observed every detail of the room. Nicholas took the last weekend to finish up Layla's room and made sure she didn't see it until he was done. Nik always loved seeing the joy in people's faces when they received something unexpected.

Everything in the room was well thought out. The only source of natural light was a small window by the bed, so Nicholas made up for it with lighter coloured walls and an ungodly amount of fairy lights strung from one wall to the other. The room felt cozy and comforting but still mature enough for Layla to use until she was a teenager.

When Nicholas got no retort, he crouched down to reach Layla and poked her cold button nose. "Do you like it, Layla? You can be honest. If there's anything you want to change, we can change it right away."

"Is this for me?" Layla asked, looking at Nicholas directly in the eyes.

"Yeah, sweetheart. All yours" Hamish chimed in, patting Layla's head.

"Yeah! Now you don't have to sleep in Hamish's drab room anymore. Looks like a texas motel on steroids. I don't think-"

Nicholas's rambling was interrupted when Layla wrapped her arms tightly around his neck. Layla was so overwhelmed with joy, she could barely formulate words. She felt like a simple 'thank you' was not enough to express how grateful she really was that her brothers took the time and effort to do this for her.

Nicholas chuckled and rubbed her back. "I'll take that as a yes. You really like it that much, huh?"

Layla's head bopped up and down against Nik's neck, indicating a 'yes'.

***

"Are you warm enough? I could get you another blanket." Hamish eyed the dusty pink fleece blanket Nik bought.

"Mhm," Layla nodded her head, hugging Tomothy for dear life. Her head sank comfortably in her large white pillow.

"Okay then" Hamish got up from the edge of Layla's bed. This was the first time he had tucked Layla in and decided he would make sure he did it every day from then on. "Should I turn off all the lights?"

"Okay"

"Alright, night Layla" Hamish was just about to close the door to the pitch dark room before hearing a soft "wait!"

"What's wrong?"

"Can you leave a light on?"

***

Layla picked up Tomothy and her school bag from the breakfast table and rushed towards Hamish. She picked up on Hamish's punctuality.

"Hey Layla, maybe you shouldn't take Tomothy to school with you." Hamish said softly, not wanting to hurt the little girl's feelings, knowing that Layla and Tomothy had recently become inseparable.

"Why not?"

"You might lose him or get him dirty. It's better if he stays home"

"I promise I won't lose him. Please let me take him" Layla said, her eyes pooling with tears. She hated how sensitive she was. She hated how she cried for every little thing.

Hamish sighed "okay". He definitely hated seeing Layla cry, but what he hated more was seeing Layla evidently control her tears. Did she not feel comfortable enough to let her emotions out in front of him? Hamish was torn. He knew it wasn't healthy for her to bottle up all her emotions but at the same time, he didn't want to force her to be comfortable around him.

"Alright then, let's go" Hamish took hold of Layla's tiny hand and lead her towards his car.

***

"Is that a new toy? Can I play with it? My daddy bought me a new dollhouse yesterday but it's too big to bring to school. Anyway, can I play with it?" Melanie chirped breathlessly, already making her grab for Tomothy.

"No, thank you" Layla clutched onto Tomothy tighter than ever before.

Melanie was livid, to say the least. "This is why your mommy hates you"

Layla hated what was about to happen next. The waterworks.

Mrs. Hathaway noticed the ruckus and came down to see what had happened. She was bombarded with Melanie rambling about how Layla wouldn't share her toys.

When Layla was questioned in private on the pressing matter, Mrs. Hathaway was impressed by how calmly Layla tried to speak while still sniffling.

'Definitely something I should bring up with their guardians.'

***

Nicholas spotted Layla sitting on a familiar flight of stairs, absentmindedly fidgeting with a loose thread dangling from her sweater. She was one of the last ones left. Nik tried to make a beeline towards Layla before he was stopped by Mrs. Hathaway

"Hello, Mr. Campbell. I've been meaning to have a talk with you about Layla." Mrs. Hathaway said, mustering a sympathetic smile.

"Sure. Did something happen?"

"Yes, there was an incident with Layla and her classmate, Melanie today." The concerned woman informed Nicholas about what had happened and suggested he spoke to Layla about it.

Nicholas was not the best with confrontations and advice. That's where Hamish's lawyer skills came into play. So he decided that he would leave that part to Hamish.

"Let's go home kid," Nik said, startling Layla, who was still so engrossed in her own sweater.

She took his hand happily and skipped along. Layla didn't particularly dislike her school, but she was nonetheless eager to go home.

Layla felt the cold air hit her face as soon she stepped out of the school. The sweet sound the wind chimes made when the door opened painted a smile on her face.

"How was school today?" Nik asked, tucking his free hand into the pocket of his warm hoodie.

"I'm never taking Tomothy to school again"

Hope you're having a wonderful day, but if you're not, that's okay too. Tomorrow will be better.

Please vote if you liked this chapter and let me know what you think <3

-M