Chapter 3: Cat and Mouse

When Neal left Peter's office, he headed to his art niche in the lab. On the way, he spotted Tricia waiting for an elevator. Tricia used to be Peter's second-in-command. She now worked as a profiler and was advising them on the Mansfelds.

"Were you here to see Diana?" Neal asked. Tricia met with her regularly to consult on Arkham Files plots. The Lovecraft-inspired fanfics were designed to influence Klaus and Rolf's behavior.

She nodded. "Peter wants the first chapter to be posted next week. Mozzie sent Diana a stack of rewrites this morning and she made an emergency call to me about them."

"What's he want now?"

"The appearance of Native American pottery at the sports complex site sparked a resonant chord. Diana hasn't decided how much to include."

"She may change his ideas so much, they'll be unrecognizable. That happens to my suggestions all the time."

Tricia smiled in sympathy. "Did you know Mozzie called Mitch about the artifacts?"

"I'm not surprised." Since Tricia's husband was a professor of anthropology, Mozzie must have counted on a receptive audience.

"Mitch talked with the team who researched the site. They're confident they found all the artifacts. There aren't many—only a few potshards. But Mitch told me they're quite valuable. They've been dated to the thirteenth century."

"There were Native American settlements on the island that far back?"

"Even further. The Manhattan tribe was a branch of the Lenape people, the indigenous inhabitants of the northeastern states. Archaeological sites have been found going back ten thousand years. Columbia intends to build a display and incorporate it into the center."

"But they won't stop construction."

Tricia nodded. "I'm afraid this evidence won't be enough. I sympathize with the marsh supporters. It's a shame to lose the wetlands. The habitat is excellent for waterfowl." She winced. "I'm afraid Mitch may have given Mozzie the wrong idea."

Neal braced himself. Mitch didn't know Mozzie well. The only time they'd met was at an Arkham Files party. Had Tricia warned him about some of Mozzie's more interesting theories?

"Mitch joked that the Wiccans might have to rely on a wrathful spirit to stop the project. The Lenape have a rich mythology of gods and elemental spirits."

Neal groaned. "I can see it now. Mozzie will lead the Wiccans in prayer. They're already planning to hold a ritual for the autumnal equinox."

"Mitch told me Mozzie mentioned it."

"This can't end well," Neal predicted gloomily.

"Not necessarily. Many of the spirits were benevolent. The university might benefit from one. Did you hear about the missing student?"

"I saw the news reports." The previous evening an undergrad had failed to appear at his dorm. The last time anyone saw him was in the computer science lab that afternoon.

"I'm meeting with the police later today about it," Tricia said. "They're collecting statements of students and want me to review them. Did you happen to see anything?"

"No, and I was on campus around that time. Unless ..." Should he mention it? It was hard to see how it could be relevant.

"What is it?" she asked.

"When I walked home Sunday evening, I heard faint howls in Riverside Park. Probably just a fraternity prank."

"Not wolves?" Her smile indicated she didn't seriously think wolves were on the loose in New York City.